Re: Nondenominational Eucharist

  • Charles Ronald Grinter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      Tena koutou

      One nondenominational (or rather multi-denominational) community with
      which I worship has experienced all of the problems mentioned with
      respect to its worship. We have a set of four liturgies that represent
      various streams within the ritual traditions of Christianity and resolve
      the ordination issue by inviting ordained ministers in good standing of
      a mainstream Christian denomination to preside. The thinking is that
      those of us who value ordination require this and those of us for whom
      all are ordained obviously consider them ordained. Whether or not we
      have an epiclesis is an issue, as is where it is placed, and ultimately
      this is resolved by whoever it is who is presiding that Sunday. As for
      the real presence, those who believe that it is do so, and those for
      whom this is not the case, treat it with respect.

      The more interesting issue recently is how to plan worship together in a
      way that respects the traditions of those who come from denominations
      that lack a ritual tradition of liturgy. This has been our norm, but we
      have found that some of our congregation are spiritually undernourished
      by this approach. I am finding it interesting that those from ritual
      traditions that value ordained ministry also place a high value on the
      involvement of a variety of people in different ministries on a given
      Sunday, while those from the non-ritual liturgical traditions that do
      not ordain people, often wish for each Sunday's worship to be presented
      by one person alone.

      Anyway, there are nondenominational liturgies out there. Ours are not
      yet available on our website, but there are a number of collections
      online and in print.
      --
      May Peace be always yours,
      Charles