Re: Filmed liturgies [was RE: [liturgy-l] 1941 High Mass]

  • episcopusseliensis
    Message 1 of 63 , Aug 10, 2006
      The 1941 High Mass was a really big event. The meaning of the
      word "leitourgia" is however litterally "peoples work". I have
      attended orchestral masses in Austria - it seems to be almost
      abandoned outside the German speaking area nowadays due to the RC
      instructions on sacred music - but they were, even during Solemn
      Vespers in the Benedictine Archabbey of St. Peter,Salzburg, never
      so "congregation excluding" as this. Besides that - you may search for
      words "Liturgy" and "Qurbana" at the same site YouTube, and find
      living pontifical liturgy parts with choir and much pomp, but this is
      not experienced as something which is "performed" "for" the
      congregation. The 1941 mass is on the otherhand very stiff - one could
      suspect that if this was a standard, the congregations might - almost -
      die of good taste.

      BTWE -do anyone know which orchestral mass they performed on the video?

      In Christ
      Johannes Ephrem

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...>

      Message 63 of 63 , Aug 19, 2006
        On 8/19/06 6:42 PM, "James Morgan" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

        > Is there a script in English for the Mezieres drama? Where would one find
        > the documentation?

        The script with stage directions was published by the Pontifical Institute
        of Medieval Studies at the University of Toronto. I;m not sure if it's
        still in print

        L of C listing
        Philippe de Mézières' campaign for the Feast of Mary's Presentation
        France. Bibliothèque nationale. Manuscript. Latin 17330
        Published for the Centre for Medieval Studies by the Pontifical Institute of
        Mediaeval Studies, 1981
        BV50 .P7 B53 1981

        Doug Cowling
        Director of Music & Liturgical Arts