Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Albs not cassocks

  • Sandford MacLean
    Message 1 of 215 , Jun 2, 2006
      Surely you jest!

      Sandford MacLean

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jon Christenson" <prjon@...>
      To: <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, 02 June, 2006 18:16
      Subject: RE: [liturgy-l] Re: Albs not cassocks

      >I start the liturgy (using the brief order for confession) in alb and
      >stole.
      > Then I put on a cope for the procession. Then I take off the cope and
      > change
      > into cassock and surplice for the opening rites (Kyrie, Gloria, Prayer of
      > the Day). I change back into alb and stole for the sermon, then put on a
      > chasuble for Holy Communion. After Holy Communion I stand before the
      > people
      > in street clothes to give the benediction, then put on a cope again for
      > the
      > recessional hymn (with alb underneath).
      >
      > It's a lot of work, but most folks of all stripes are happy.
      >

      > :-)
      >

      > Jon +
      >
      > Pr. Jon Christenson, STS
      > Redeemer Kirche
      > Col. Baker's Field, People's Republic of California
      > www.rlcbakersfield.org
      >
      > "If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will
      > fall
      > by the hands of the clergy."
      > Marquis de Lafayette
      >

      >>From: "Sean W. Reed" <skreed1@...>
      >>To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      >>Subject: [liturgy-l] Re: Albs not cassocks
      >>Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:31:47 -0000
      >>
      >>--- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jarp198604@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Ormonde,

      >>for
      >> >
      >> > In my Episcopal parish, my interim wears cassock, surplice, and
      >> > stole for Liturgy of the Word. Then, for Liturgy of the
      >>Sacrament,
      >> > she dons a chasuble.
      >> >
      >> > After the Peace but before the Offertory Sentence, we have
      >> > announcements and then she offers a teaching. One Sunday she
      >> > explained this practice.
      >> >
      >> > For her and many other priests, vesting in the chasuble, during
      >>the
      >> > Offertory, establishes a "line of demarcation" between Word and
      >> > Sacrament. Donning the chasuble for the whole Liturgy emphasizes
      >> > Sacrament over Word. For her and these priests, both halves make
      >>up
      >> > the whole and are equally important.
      >> >
      >> > James
      >>

      >>Are you saying she wears a does not wear an alb when wearing the
      >>eucharistic vestments?
      >>

      >>Sean W. Reed

      >>write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
      >>liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

      > write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
      > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James O'Regan
      Message 215 of 215 , Mar 16, 2007
        Tom wrote and I snipped:

        > 1. Why was this reader doing anything with her hands?

        Don't know. For the session, I was not worrying too much about anything
        gestic just speech. If I have the person again next year, I'll ask. I would like to
        know what she thinks is happening.

        > 2. When first introduced to orans position, ... A search for sources
        > within my library will follow.

        I would be very happy to see any sources posted.

        James O'Regan
        http://www.jamesoregan.com
        tel 613-824-4706