Re: [liturgy-l] LBW & Episcopalians

  • Mary Jane Fowler
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 1 5:26 AM
      "Thomas R. Jackson" wrote:
      > >I should think that there is a little of this on both sides of the fence.
      > >I haven't
      > >heard of a Lutheran Church employing Liturgical Umbrellas yet.

      > I'm afraid to ask.
      > thomas.

      So am I. And I'm an Episcopalian.

    • fcsenn@aol.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 6 6:16 AM
        In a message dated 11/6/2000 5:14:46 AM Central Standard Time,
        trjack@... writes:

        One of the problems with "reason", as importance as it is, for being
        considered a "norm" is that reasonable people can disagree about
        things. >>

        I have understood reason to be a tool, not a source of revelation. One uses
        reason to figure out what Scripture is saying and to discern the great
        tradition. One uses reason to apply the teachings of Scripture and tradition
        to a contemporary issue. One uses reason even to understand contemporary
        issues. Reason uses methods that enable us to discern---and even to call
        into question the methods themselves, as has recently been happening with
        regard to the enlightenment-inspired historical critical method in biblical
        interpretation. But reason cannot be enshrined as a norm for faith and
        practice. I don't even know what that would mean, other than to make some
        philosophic construct or contemporary worldview or scientific hypothesis the
        judge over Scripture and tradition, which has surely been known to happen.
        It happened in the Age of Enlightenment, in whose aftermath we are still
        lingering. But, Thomas, you should know that once that happened, the
        religion of the Reformation came to an end, because reason replaced faith and
        science trumped the authority of Scripture.