Re: [liturgy-l] Ash Wednesday and Lent

    Message 1 of 67 , Mar 2, 2006
      There should be no Mass or Eucharist on Ash Wednesday because it is a fast day. (We've been around and around on this before on this list. You don't feast and fast at the same time.) The fast begins at midnight, and therefore the first Ash Wednesday liturgy would be Matins, not Vespers. (I mean, what would one do with fat Tuesday---Mardi gras?) One might receive communion at the end of Wednesday. I think there's something to be said for saving communion for Sundays in Lent, not the days "of" Lent.

      Frank C. Senn

      Message 67 of 67 , Mar 5, 2006
        > Frank Senn wrote:
        >
        >> The reform of the Roman Mass in 1969 erred liturgically in troping the
        >> Kyrie with the penitential petitions.

        Frank,

        Could you clarify the error? I understand that the Kyrie is not originally
        penitential in nature and I know that the Roman Mass includes it within the
        penitential rite (at least in the 3rd option) but my impression is that the
        tropes are acclamations not penitential petitions.