confession

  • Troy Mulvaine
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2006
      Friends,

      I appreciate your dialog concerning private confession and absolution. When
      I arrived at this parish private confession was not a practice and the
      mention of it brought many knee jerk reactions. People suggested it was too
      Roman Catholic and there fore not a Lutheran tradition.

      I had to remind people of their small catechism and the section about
      private confession. I began having confession on Saturday's every week. AT
      first I had a few seekers who wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
      Even they dried up eventually and I spent many Saturdays reflecting alone at
      our side altar of repose.

      Now two years latter I regularly have 2-4 people and have had as many as 10.
      The concept took a lot of time and patience but now the use of the
      confessional by this parish speaks to its value.

      The collogues around me perhaps think I have lost my mind but I remind them
      of Luther's claim that the confessional can not be left to pass away. As far
      as I know we are the only Lutheran parish in the area or perhaps synod with
      regular scheduled hours for confession and reconciliation.

      I pray for those of you thinking to begin this practice in your parish. I
      pray you have patience and not give up when you set alone on Saturday after
      Saturday.

      The whole process has strengthened our parish community and the relationship
      between people and priest. I also am confident that we have all grown in our
      understanding of what it means to be church, and our relationship with God.

      Your servant in Christ,

      Rev. Troy A. Mulvaine, STS
    • James
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2006
        Rev. Troy,

        > I began having confession on Saturday's every week.

        In Episcopal, Lutheran, and other Protestant Churches, a parishioner
        would probably have to seek out their priest, in order to confess
        their sins. Do you believe Confession would be used more often if the
        priest made him or herself available at scheduled times?

        James

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2006
            Our priests diligently man the confessionals on Sundays from 10.30 to
            10.50 am and Saturdays from 5.30 to 6 p.m. In 2005, they heard a
            total of 40 confessions, including those heard in their offices rather
            than the confessionals. That's 3.33 confessions per month.
            Definitely more than other parishes I've been in where confessions
            were offered by appointment only. I think I know two of the 3 1/3
            people who make monthly confessions. :)

            --
            Scott R. Knitter
            Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12, 2006
              Thank you for your testimony, Troy. Let me shamelessly take the opportunity to point out that this is one of the practices the Society of the Holy Treinity, to which we both belong, has been promoting---both among the pastors who are members of the Society and in the parishes we serve. The restoration of the confessional has been a blessing to all of us who use "the office of the keys" (as we Lutherans call it). While I don't have regular times for confession in my congregation, congregants know that I offer it and they will freely set up an appointment with me when they want to have confession and forgiveness. I always do it in the sanctuary, so I set times when the no one else is in the nave.

              Frank C. Senn, STS

              Frank C. Senn, STS

              Troy Mulvaine <mulvaine@...> wrote:
[...]

              liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com