Re: [liturgy-l] Broken Host

  • Steve Benner
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
      At 10:46 AM 10/3/00 -0400, James O'Regan wrote:
      >In my new parish, the presider takes a very large round wafer that is
      >clearly perforated along four to six diagonals (alright, it's clearly
      >perforated but not so clearly in my mind as to the exact number of
      >lines).
      >
      >At the Lam of God, the presider holds up the bread and wine. In this
      >case, he holds up a triangular portion of the large host.
      >
      >Lately, I've noticed it and wondered if there's a trinitarian gesture
      >involved. I ask this because in the past I've seen a broken host held
      >up to present its break, reminiscent of "broken for you."
      >
      >I think I prefer that to the cleaner triangle. What have you
      >observed?

      IIRC, you're RC. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I believe standard
      practice since Vatican II has been for the priest to hold up his portion of
      the broken host above the chalice when he does Ecce Agnus Dei--since he's
      now using the bigger multi-person hosts which break into triangles, that's
      the part he holds up. No more significance than that, I should think.

      In my experience in the A-C wing of the Episcopal Church, frequently the
      host is put back together, so to speak, i.e. held together with the
      fingertips and then held above the chalice. That seems even stranger than
      the current practice as I experienced it in the RCC.

      Steve Benner
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
        Speaking of strange practices, one of our retired priests, if
        the rector is not present, will do all kinds of things with paten
        and hosts: dumping hosts on corporal, sliding paten under corporal,
        scooping up hosts with paten, etc.
        ________________________________
        Scott Knitter <knitter@...> East Lansing, Michigan USA

        ----------------
        Sent from a WebBox - http://www.webbox.com
        FREE Web based Email, Files, Bookmarks, Calendar, People and
        Great Ways to Share them with Others!
      • Pastor Robert White
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
          On 3 Oct 2000, at 10:46, James O'Regan wrote:

          > What have you observed? [about breaking hosts]

          What I generally do is break the bread (pita for Sundays, largish
          hosts for smaller occasions) during the doxology of the Lord's
          Prayer, hold it visible as we sing Lamb of God, and raise it during
          whatever invitation to the table.

          Bob

          + + + + + + + + + + +
          Worship is transcendent wonder.
          Thomas Carlyle

          Pastor Robert White
          Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
          863 Silliman Ave.
          Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
          814-899-3264
          email: xrredeem@...
        • Ron Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
            Scott, you never had occasion to read Ritual Notes, Anglican Services, or
            the Manner of Celebrating Low Mass. The pure unadulterated "Western Rite"
            had all kinds of things the celebrant was supposed to do, even after Rome
            dropped such practices. I've never done it myself, but I've been at Masses
            where these things were done.

            At 11:11 AM 10/3/2000 -0700, you wrote:

            >Speaking of strange practices, one of our retired priests, if
            >the rector is not present, will do all kinds of things with paten
            >and hosts: dumping hosts on corporal, sliding paten under corporal,
            >scooping up hosts with paten, etc.
            >________________________________
            >Scott Knitter <knitter@...> East Lansing, Michigan USA

            -----
            Ron Miller, Baltimore, MD (The Rev. Ronald H.) Coordinator
            Associated Parishes for Liturgy and Mission
            http://www.associatedparishes.org
            Committed to Church Renewal since 1946
          • Steve Benner
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
              At 04:08 PM 10/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
              >Scott, you never had occasion to read Ritual Notes, Anglican Services, or
              >the Manner of Celebrating Low Mass. The pure unadulterated "Western Rite"
              >had all kinds of things the celebrant was supposed to do, even after Rome
              >dropped such practices. I've never done it myself, but I've been at Masses
              >where these things were done.
              >
              >At 11:11 AM 10/3/2000 -0700, you wrote:
              >
              > >Speaking of strange practices, one of our retired priests, if
              > >the rector is not present, will do all kinds of things with paten
              > >and hosts: dumping hosts on corporal, sliding paten under corporal,
              > >scooping up hosts with paten, etc.

              This was done at one of the A-C churches I attended in the past. I believe
              it has its roots in the paten-paten-who's got the paten? but, there being
              no other ministers, the priest does it himself. Basically the idea was, I
              believe, that the paten was not supposed to be on the corporal and that the
              consecrated host would be placed directly on the linen.

              Steve Benner
            • fcsenn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                In a message dated 10/3/00 1:13:12 PM Central Daylight Time, knitter@...
                writes:

                <<
                Speaking of strange practices, one of our retired priests, if
                the rector is not present, will do all kinds of things with paten
                and hosts: dumping hosts on corporal, sliding paten under corporal,
                scooping up hosts with paten, etc. >>

                Ah, the old Fortesque and O'Connell Ritual Notes.

                FCSenn