Re: [ELCA-L] chorale service

  • John Dornheim
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
      Pastor Robert White wrote:

      > On 30 Sep 2000, at 18:51, John Dornheim wrote:
      >
      > > Looking ahead to December and realizing that the 24th is a Sunday, I
      > > think something different might be in order for the regular morning
      > > Eucharist. Has any one done a chorale service using Carols?
      > >
      > Advent carols? The challenge on these occasions for those of us
      > who try to stick to the calendar is to keep a 4th Sunday of Advent
      > in the morning and then shift to Christmas for the evening masses.
      >
      > Bob

      Yes, perhaps Advent carols is as good as it can get but I think you realize
      that most folks are going to commit to the evening service at the expense
      of the morning. I am trying to maintain integrity at both and give folks a
      reason to be at both. I wish it wasn't necessary. Perhaps I am
      underestimating the commitment to worship?

      John Dornheim
    • Pastor Robert White
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
        On 30 Sep 2000, at 20:24, John Dornheim wrote:

        > Yes, perhaps Advent carols is as good as it can get but I think you
        > realize that most folks are going to commit to the evening service at the
        > expense of the morning. I am trying to maintain integrity at both and give
        > folks a reason to be at both. I wish it wasn't necessary. Perhaps I am
        > underestimating the commitment to worship?

        It seems to me that the way to encourage the faithful to attend both
        is to make them different. We do essentially a chorale carol service
        for our Christmas Eve liturgies, so doing that in the morning
        wouldn't work for us. The morning is Advent with significant texts,
        prayers, etc. IMHO, we oughtn't abasndon the Advent season too
        quickly out of some sense that people really won't come anyway.

        Now if you want bodies--do the kiddie's program for the morning
        services <grin>.

        Bob

        + + + + + + + + + + +
        You can't conceive, my child, nor can I or anyone,
        the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God.--Graham Greene

        Pastor Robert White
        Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
        863 Silliman Ave.
        Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
        814-899-3264
        email: xrredeem@...
      • Krister Ulmanis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
          >On 30 Sep 2000, at 20:24, John Dornheim wrote:
          >
          >> Yes, perhaps Advent carols is as good as it can get but I think you
          >> realize that most folks are going to commit to the evening service at the
          >> expense of the morning. I am trying to maintain integrity at both and give
          >> folks a reason to be at both. I wish it wasn't necessary. Perhaps I am
          >> underestimating the commitment to worship?
          >
          >It seems to me that the way to encourage the faithful to attend both
          >is to make them different. We do essentially a chorale carol service
          >for our Christmas Eve liturgies, so doing that in the morning
          >wouldn't work for us. The morning is Advent with significant texts,
          >prayers, etc. IMHO, we oughtn't abasndon the Advent season too
          >quickly out of some sense that people really won't come anyway.
          >
          >Now if you want bodies--do the kiddie's program for the morning
          >services <grin>.
          >
          >Bob

          No, no, no - do the kiddie's program at the early Christmas Eve service
          and you find the church filled in the morning with all those who want
          "real" worship. Sad but true quote from a parishioner in a previous parish
          last time Dec 24 was Advent IV. And we did what Bob said - celebrated
          Advent IV and had a packed house for all services, both morning and evening.
          Krister

          Krister Ulmanis
          Sault Ste. Marie, ON
          <suskas@...>

          "We are all beggars before God."
          Martin Luther
        • fcsenn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
            In a message dated 9/30/00 7:50:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
            xrredeem@... writes:

            <<
            Now if you want bodies--do the kiddie's program for the morning
            services <grin>. >>

            I'm glad you added the <grin>, but I hope its because one would not
            countenance replacing the Mass for Advent IV with a Christmas kiddie's
            program!

            FCSenn
          • Pastor Robert White
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2000
              On 30 Sep 2000, at 23:38, fcsenn@... wrote:

              > I'm glad you added the <grin>, but I hope its because one would not
              > countenance replacing the Mass for Advent IV with a Christmas kiddie's
              > program!

              I would not so countenance, but I'd be willing to bet good money
              that there will be more than a few such events.

              Bob

              The things, good Lord, that we pray for,
              give us the grace to labor for.--Thomas More