UCC Rites

  • James O'Regan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
      I am interested to know what the communion
      service of the United Church of Christ might look
      like. Does anyone have their Book of Worship?

      James O'Regan
    • Hugh Graham
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
        I have a copy sitting in front of me next to the Missal! In what way are
        you thinking it might differ? Structurally the order of service is
        essentially the same.

        Hugh Graham

        > I am interested to know what the communion
        > service of the United Church of Christ might look
        > like. Does anyone have their Book of Worship?
        >

        > James O'Regan

        write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
        > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Dornheim
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
          Yes, it is called the New Century Hymnal.
          Prelude
          Greeting
          Sentence of Adoration
          Hymn of Adoration
          Confession of Sin
          Silence
          Prayer for Mercy
          Assurance of Pardon
          Passing the Peace
          Act of Praise
          Scripture Readings
          Sermon
          Affirmation of Faith
          Hymn
          Prayers of the People
          Concerns of the Church
          Offertory
          Invitation
          Communion Prayer
          Prayer of Our Savior
          Breaking of Bread and Pouring of Wine
          (Resurrection Acclamation setting 2)
          Lamb of God
          Call to the Supper
          Sharing the Elements
          Prayer of Thanksgiving
          Song of Simeon
          Commissioning
          Benediction

          John Dornheim
          On Nov 30, 2005, at 6:37 AM, James O'Regan wrote:

          > I am interested to know what the communion
          > service of the United Church of Christ might look
          > like. Does anyone have their Book of Worship?
          >

          > James O'Regan
          >

          > Visit the liturgy-l homepage at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liturgy-l/To write to the
          > owners/moderators, please send an email to:
          > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          "Faith is believing that one of two things will happen," she said.
          "That there will be something solid for you to stand on -- Or that you
          will be taught to fly."
        • Chris Arnold
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
            The UCC orders of worship from the New Century Hymnal and the Book of
            Worship are all online in PDF format at http://www.ucc.org/worship/tnch/

            peace,
            Chris Arnold

            --
            Christopher Arnold
            Seminarian, Church Divinity School of the Pacific

          • James O'Regan
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
              Hugh wrote:

              > I have a copy sitting in front of me next to the Missal! In what way
              > are you thinking it might differ? Structurally the order of service
              > is essentially the same.

              Sorry for the confusion. I was not asking if the
              communion service and Book of Worship were
              different but simply what the order was.

              James O'Regan
            • James O'Regan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                Chris wrote:

                > The UCC orders of worship from the New Century Hymnal and the Book of
                > Worship are all online in PDF format at
                > http://www.ucc.org/worship/tnch/

                Thanks for that. I had found the site previously
                but the actual PDF file was not available. There
                appears to be a bad link.

                James O'Regan
              • Bob White
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                  On 11/30/2005 6:37 AM, James O'Regan wrote:
                  > I am interested to know what the communion
                  > service of the United Church of Christ might look
                  > like. Does anyone have their Book of Worship?

                  Since you've had your initial question answered, this may be more
                  information that you want, but anyway--

                  According to the UCC web site: "On Tuesday, June 25, 1957, at the
                  Uniting General Synod in Cleveland, Ohio, the Evangelical and Reformed
                  Church, 23 years old, passionate in its impulse to unity, committed to
                  "liberty of conscience inherent in the Gospel," and the Congregational
                  Christian Churches, 26 years old, a fellowship of biblical people living
                  under a covenant for responsible freedom in Christ, joined together as
                  the United Church of Christ."

                  From a Lutheran liturgical perspective, the interesting piece of that
                  merger was the E&R. I don't know what worship looked like in the other
                  two traditions. The E side of the E&R was in many ways "Lutheran"
                  particularly in its worship. In 1987, I served the Lutheran side of
                  "Union Church" (Lutheran and UCC inhabiting [not always peacefully] the
                  same building). The UCC's had been E&R (and before that E) and were
                  still using to old Evangelical Worship Book (rebound perhaps because the
                  books were old, or perhaps to blur the predecessor body's connections).
                  The liturgy was what I had grown up with in the Common Service Book --
                  the liturgical and hymn book of most North American Lutherans from
                  around 1900 to 1958. There may well be some UCC congregations (perhaps
                  that one back in Central Pennsylvania) still using the old books.

                  Bob

                  --
                  It isn't that they can't see the solution.
                  It is that they can't see the problem.

                  Bob White
                  Lordstown Lutheran Church
                  Lordstown, Ohio
                • James
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                    Chris,

                    > The UCC orders of worship from the New Century Hymnal and the Book of
                    > Worship are all online in PDF format at
                    > http://www.ucc.org/worship/tnch/

                    For some reason, my computer will not allow the PDF to be opened.
                    Could you post the Orders of Service on here?

                    James
                  • John Dornheim
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                      You need the latest version of Adobe (7), I believe. If you don't have
                      it, click on the Adobe download button on the rightmost column.
                      John Dornheim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                        Dear James,
                        I think it might be poor form to post them on the list. I could email them
                        to you directly, perhaps. Which ones would you like?

                        -Chris

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                          In a message dated 12/1/2005 9:46:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          oregan@... writes:
                          Thanks for that. I had found the site previously
                          but the actual PDF file was not available. There
                          appears to be a bad link.
                          I had no trouble accessing the site and all of the PDF files yesterday. Try
                          right clicking the service title with your mouse, then choose "Save as" and the
                          file should appear on your hard drive.

                          "Semper Gumby!" ("Always Flexible!")
                          (The Rev.) Linda A. Shevlin
                          6 Ash Street
                          Cumberland, RI 02864
                          Cellular Phone: 401-529-4584
                          RIRevShev@...

                        • Ray Gadke
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                            One of the antecedents of the United Church of Christ, the
                            Reformed Church in the United States, experienced an interesting "high
                            church" movement during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
                            Centered around the seminary in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, the liturgical
                            movement in the Reformed Church in the United States (of German origin,
                            as opposed to the Reformed Church in America, which is of Dutch background)
                            was called the "Mercersburg Movement." Reformed church buildings influenced
                            by the Mercersburg Movement introduced divided chancels, altars rather than
                            communion tables, vested choirs, and the clergy in the movement dressed
                            like their peers in the Episcopal Church or in the Lutheran churches affected
                            by the beginning of the liturgical movement in the old UCLA - cassock or gown,
                            surplice and stole. The Order of Worship in "The Hymnal of the Evangelical &
                            Reformed Church" and the Evangelical & Reformed Church "Book of Worship"
                            was/is, as Pastor White describes it, almost identical with the Lutheran
                            Common
                            Service - and both drew heavily on Anglican worship. The old E & R hymnal
                            included a number of the chants used in the Episcopal Church in their1940
                            Hymnal. As Pastor White points out, the Evangelical Synod of North America,
                            which merged with the Reformed Church in the United States in 1934, was of
                            German Lutheran background, and the Evangelical Book of Worship was based
                            on that of the Lutheran churches in Europe. My guess is that there is a
                            very wide
                            range of worship in the current United Church of Christ, just as there is a
                            very
                            broad range of theological belief.

                            Ray Gadke

                            At 04:44 PM 11/30/2005, you wrote:
                            >On 11/30/2005 6:37 AM, James O'Regan wrote:
                            > > I am interested to know what the communion
                            > > service of the United Church of Christ might look
                            > > like. Does anyone have their Book of Worship?
                            >
                            >Since you've had your initial question answered, this may be more
                            >information that you want, but anyway--
                            >
                            >According to the UCC web site: "On Tuesday, June 25, 1957, at the
                            >Uniting General Synod in Cleveland, Ohio, the Evangelical and Reformed
                            >Church, 23 years old, passionate in its impulse to unity, committed to
                            >"liberty of conscience inherent in the Gospel," and the Congregational
                            >Christian Churches, 26 years old, a fellowship of biblical people living
                            >under a covenant for responsible freedom in Christ, joined together as
                            >the United Church of Christ."
                            >
                            > From a Lutheran liturgical perspective, the interesting piece of that
                            >merger was the E&R. I don't know what worship looked like in the other
                            >two traditions. The E side of the E&R was in many ways "Lutheran"
                            >particularly in its worship. In 1987, I served the Lutheran side of
                            >"Union Church" (Lutheran and UCC inhabiting [not always peacefully] the
                            >same building). The UCC's had been E&R (and before that E) and were
                            >still using to old Evangelical Worship Book (rebound perhaps because the
                            >books were old, or perhaps to blur the predecessor body's connections).
                            >The liturgy was what I had grown up with in the Common Service Book --
                            >the liturgical and hymn book of most North American Lutherans from
                            >around 1900 to 1958. There may well be some UCC congregations (perhaps
                            >that one back in Central Pennsylvania) still using the old books.
                            >
                            >Bob
                            >
                            >--
                            >It isn't that they can't see the solution.
                            >It is that they can't see the problem.
                            >-----G.K. Chesterton
                            >
                            >Bob White
                            >Lordstown Lutheran Church
                            >Lordstown, Ohio
                          • James
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                              Chris,

                              > Which ones would you like?

                              Thank you very much, but that is okay.

                              James
                            • James O'Regan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                                Linda wrote and I snipped:

                                > I had no trouble accessing the site and all of the PDF files
                                > yesterday.

                                Ah-ha, I had not noticed the list of PDF files. I had been clicking on a
                                Book of Worship link that was bad.

                                Thanks.

                                James O'Regan
                              • Hugh Graham
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                                  I'm not sure that the Mercersburg liturgy can be said to have 'drawn heavily
                                  on Anglican worship' certainly looking at the communion service in the E&R
                                  worship book the heaviest influence is still that of the Catholic
                                  Apostolics.

                                  Hugh Graham