Re: Lineamenta [was Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Since things seem quiet]

    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 4, 2005
      On 9/4/05 9:46 AM, "cantor03@..." <cantor03@...> wrote:

      In a message dated 9/4/2005 8:36:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > scottknitter@... writes:
      >
      > I'd love to know more of the liturgical practices of the 50s and the
      > early 60s leading up to Vatican II...basically what it was like to go
      > to church at that time, and what was done there. Anyone know of a
      > good source for this?>>>>>>

      It's very hard to get specifics. A year or so ago, I attempted to get
      > some idea of the frequency of the use of the Graduale Romanum in
      > Roman Catholic parishes in the local Diocese, and discovered that
      > there is hardly anyone around with enough musical/liturgical expertise
      > who remembers how things were before 1969. That's becoming a
      > long time ago. It came down to one older musical Monsignor, and
      > the retired organist/choirmaster of the Diocesan Cathedral. No one
      > else had the slightest clue.

      A good idea of the liturgical program for a 1950's American parish can be
      reconstructed from choir books such as the "St. Basil Hymnbook". Sung mass
      with one priest was obviously the norm, with high mass apparently a rarity.
      Forty Hours devotions and the like were also popular with many
      congregational hymns. There are some intriguing liturgical provisions. In
      order to encourage the singing of Vespers, the Congregation of Rites gave
      American parishes the permission to sing Vespers of the BVM every Sunday if
      they could not manage the Sunday propers. It appears that music and ritual
      was at its low point in Irish parishes, whereas the German parishes brought
      their tradition of concerted masses and choral tradition to the United
      States.

      Doug Cowling
      Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
      Church of the Messiah, Toronto
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 7, 2005
        As was noted on a previus post, German sang; the Irish didn't. Lutherans also sang German Catholic hymns such as "All creatures of all our God and King" (set to Lasst uns erfreuen), "Holy God we praise your name" (Grosser Gott), and "Lo, how a rose e're blooming" (Es ist ein Rose entsprungen). Hymnody has been an ecumenical expression. "O sacred head, now wounded" is a text amplified by Paul Gerhadt from Bernard of Clairvaux. "Fath of our fathers" is, I believe, a Catholic hymn extolling confessors of the faith persecuted by Protestants, now sung lustily by Protestants.

        Frank C. Senn

        Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote:
        It's interesting to recall that one of the first few hymns we sang in
        RC churches in the 1960s was that great Catholic standard, "A mighty
        fortress." :) It was quite a few years later that I learned it is a
        Lutheran fight song. In fact, many of the hymns I remember from my
        early days were sung to German chorale tunes: "Praise to the Lord,
        the Almighty," "On this day, the first of days," "O sacred head."
        Other hymns often used included "Beautiful Savior" and "Faith of our
        fathers."