Since things seem quiet

  • nataliemoreau2000
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 1, 2005
      Since things seem quiet does anyone have any thought or perspective on
      what the potential "Benedictine" reforms will be for the Roman Mass
      during this pontificate? I've heard ideas ranging from a return to
      the versus Dei position at the altar (only for the Lit. of the Euch.),
      to the revival of the longer offertory, or even a return to the
      previous formula for the consecration.

      The one point of agreement seems to be that there will be some kind of
      reform and that the reform will be organic.

      Peace,

      -N
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 7, 2005
        As was noted on a previus post, German sang; the Irish didn't. Lutherans also sang German Catholic hymns such as "All creatures of all our God and King" (set to Lasst uns erfreuen), "Holy God we praise your name" (Grosser Gott), and "Lo, how a rose e're blooming" (Es ist ein Rose entsprungen). Hymnody has been an ecumenical expression. "O sacred head, now wounded" is a text amplified by Paul Gerhadt from Bernard of Clairvaux. "Fath of our fathers" is, I believe, a Catholic hymn extolling confessors of the faith persecuted by Protestants, now sung lustily by Protestants.

        Frank C. Senn

        Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote:
        It's interesting to recall that one of the first few hymns we sang in
        RC churches in the 1960s was that great Catholic standard, "A mighty
        fortress." :) It was quite a few years later that I learned it is a
        Lutheran fight song. In fact, many of the hymns I remember from my
        early days were sung to German chorale tunes: "Praise to the Lord,
        the Almighty," "On this day, the first of days," "O sacred head."
        Other hymns often used included "Beautiful Savior" and "Faith of our
        fathers."