A question regarding headware...

  • Rev. Jerry Kliner
    Message 1 of 66 , Jul 6 7:42 AM
      A question, since this group has gone deathly quiet...

      Recently, I was in a discussion regarding the wearing of the zucchetto,
      the small "skull-cap" often worn by Roman Catholic clergy and
      hierarchy. I realized that I know little regarding the history of the
      zucchetto and it's symbolism. I know of a few-- okay one-- Lutheran
      clergy who wear one occasionally. I just came by one myself and am
      currious about it's purpose. Anyone out there know the history and
      symbolism behind the zucchetto? And why or why not would I (a Lutheran
      clergyman) choose to wear one?

      Pax Christi,
      Pr. Jerry Kliner
    • Tom Poelker
      Message 66 of 66 , Jul 19 12:29 PM
        Relevant information might include that chapters and verses weren't
        supplied until printers did so. The incipits and excipits were how a
        passage was cited or specified for the readings in lists. I don't know
        when liturgical lectionaries were used instead of finding the day's
        passage in the one bible the community had.

        Calligraphers do not use the printer's terminology of "upper case" or
        the "lower case" which is how printers stored their type for composing
        the lines of type for a certain document. Calligraphers call the
        capital letters "uncials" and the smaller letters are called
        "minuscule." Uncials were used for inscriptions, in stone for example,
        and tend to have straight lines. Minuscules approach cursive writing
        and are designed to conserve the material used for the writing surface,
        parchment, papyrus, vellum, paper, etc. There is usually very little
        "white space" on manuscripts because the biggest investment was in the
        surface medium.

        My guess, therefore, is the incipits and excipits were taken from any of
        the various lists of liturgical readings. (So there is the connection
        to our group's liturgical subject matter.) They were calligraphed in
        uncials because that was the "other" way of writing and would make them
        stand out when one was searching for the passage. I would guess that
        the length of the incipit was determined either by the traditional
        citation phrase or was what it took to distinguish one passage from any
        similar passage.

        Tom Poelker
        St. Louis, Missouri
        USA