Re: [liturgy-l] Bloated Common Prayer

    Message 1 of 46 , Apr 1, 2005
      I hope the Episcopalians/Anglicans won't be offended by this, but I've always felt that Morning and Evening Prayer in the BCP tradition is too bloated. Perhaps it made sense at the time of the Reformation to combine Matins and Lauds into a single office and Vespers and Compline into a single office. There were a number of experiments with the Divine Office in the early 16th century to try to streamline what had become a very burdensom and complicated chore for parish clergy. Thomas Cranmer may even have had Lutheran models as well as the Quinonez Breviary to work from.. But I think for today a prayer office for congregational use would be:

      Office Hymn appropriate to the time of the day
      (Thanksgiving for Light at Evening Prayer)
      A psalm appropriate to the time of the day
      A psalm appropriate to the season of the church year

      One or two readings

      Gospel canticle: Benedictus for Morning Prayer; Magnificat for Evening Prayer; Nunc dimittis for Compline

      Short litany
      Concluding Prayer related to the time of the day
      Lord's Prayer
      Blessing

    • Michael Joe Thannisch
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 12, 2005
        I rather suspect that the reporter was not familiar with our liturgy or the
        general confession. Many reporters and other people in the west find
        churches and liturgy rather alien.

        Shalom B'Yeshua HaMoshiach

        Michael Joe Thannisch+, SST, OSL
        mjthan@...

        The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.