The Divine Hours

  • cfortunato@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
      >I wrestle with whether to simply stick to the BCP 1979 office as read
      >in our parish church every day or to pray an enriched or even monastic
      >office. It's become clear to me that a full monastic one-week-psalter
      >office (such as the Anglican Breviary) is crazy except on a retreat,
      >snow day, etc., but I've found some enrichments that have worked well
      >for me for extended periods of time.

      I have my own form that's heavily based on the BCP and Celebrating
      Common Prayer. The canticles, invitatories, etc, are more geared to
      the liturgical season. I do four offices a day: Morning, Noon, Evening
      and Compline, and try to have a "free-form" prayer time in mid-morning,
      mid afternoon, and on my bed at night after the light goes out.

      I agree with you about the one-week psalter. I tried this briefly and
      it really did NOT work. Holy Cross Monastery in West Park, NY does a
      two-week Psalter, and O have found it good to take this psalter and
      "split" it over four weeks. I prefer it to the monthly BCP psalter
      because it includes Noonday and Compline, and is more geared to times
      and days.

      I'm not sure how well this will format in an email, but here it is.
      Psalm 95 is not included, since it so often the Invitatory.

      Week Day Matins Diurnum Vespers Compline
      1 Sunday 99;118 1; 8 110;111;93 4;134
      1 Monday 6;9 14;13 7 12;11
      1 Tuesday 40;21 119:1-16 78:1-39 31
      1 Wednes 38;60 41 78:40-72 49
      1 Thurs 63;81 119:17-32 20 59
      1 Friday 22 79 89 55
      1 Satur 141;101;96 119:33-48 35 90
      2 Sunday 32;146 84 104 91
      2 Monday 3;76;87 119:49-64 37 26
      2 Tuesday 70;57;144 36 66 133
      2 Wednes 80;108 119:65-80 94 47
      2 Thurs 27;92 48 106 62
      2 Friday 83;149 119:81-96 137 131
      2 Satur 113;45 56 135;67 86
      3 Sunday 42;116 19 112;150 61
      3 Monday 10;24 120;121 114 17
      3 Tuesday 39;132 119:97-112 25 82
      3 Wednes 109 122;123 69 54
      3 Thurs 52;147 119:113-128 75 130
      3 Friday 142;77 124;125 139 88
      3 Satur 143;85 44 74;65 58
      4 Sunday 43;26;98 15;23 107 34
      4 Monday 5;64;100 119:129-144 18 30
      4 Tuesday 145 126;127 68 33
      4 Wednes 102;148 119:145-160 71 50
      4 Thurs 72;29 128;129 105 115
      4 Friday 51;138 119:161-176 28;103 140
      4 Satur 2;46;97 117 136 73
    • Ormonde Plater
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
        This has been one of our most helpful discussions, and I want to thank
        everyone for sharing the way you pray.

        Over the years I have developed a simplified way of singing the daily
        office, which changes from time to time. Right now I do Morning Prayer and
        Evensong, roughly based on the 1979 BCP.

        My MP is actually two offices, one leading directly into the other: (1) An
        Office of Readings, beginning with "Lord, open our lips" and an invitatory
        psalm or canticle (Ps 63 in OT, Ps 95 in Advent, Gloria in excelsis on
        Sundays and Christmas, Pascha nostrum in Easter, and verses from the Canon
        of St Andrew of Crete in Lent), followed by the three readings of the day in
        the BCP office lectionary. I do this right after I get up and then take a
        break for breakfast, returning for the second part of the office. (2) Lauds,
        with the BCP psalm(s), followed by Benedictus, litany, Our Father, collect,
        and "Let us bless the Lord."

        Evensong begins with "O God, make speed to save us," then Phos hilaron
        (lighting a candle), evening psalms, Magnificat, and ending as at MP. (One
        of the problems with the BCP office is its long-winded ending, with a double
        intercession, multiple collects, and reluctance to conclude.)

        For music I use an Antiphonale I have developed over the last few years,
        with antiphons from books I bought from Solesmes.

        On occasion I impose the evening office on a small congregation at my
        church, adding only a hymn near the end. They like the office but find it
        fast, compared, I guess, to the verbosity of BCP. In theory the office is
        sung by the whole church, no matter how solitary the actual occasion, but it
        helps to have real people in the room.

        Ormonde Plater
        oplater@...
      • Kenneth Doll
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
          I seem to vaguely recall this from years ago when I prayed MP and EP.
          IIRC, the 1549 BCP MP/EP provides more brevity in this regards.
          Have you looked into the 1549 at all?

          Kenneth

          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ormonde Plater" <oplater@c...> wrote:

          (One of the problems with the BCP office is its long-winded ending,
          with a double intercession, multiple collects, and reluctance to
          conclude.)
        • David Wisner
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
            I say (occasionally sing) MP and EP (sometimes Compline, instead) primarily
            using Celebrating Common Prayer. The features that I particularly like about
            CCP are its structure (I, too, find the BCP office rather long-winded), its
            seasonal material, and a large selection of canticles. As far as use of
            psalms, readings, and canticles is concerned, my practice is to use the CCP
            appointed psalms during Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter (the CCP
            provides a weekly cycle of psalms for each season), and the BCP appointed
            psalms during Ordinary Time. For readings I tend to use the daily
            eucharistic lectionary from Lesser Feasts and Fasts as I find the readings
            more succinct; one of the problems I've had with the BCP daily office
            lectionary is that I feel like I spend too much time reading and not enough
            time praying. Although I must say that I like Ormonde's idea of using the
            BCP appointed lessons in an Office of Readings. For canticles I use the CCP
            appointed ones during the abovementioned seasons, but tend to follow the
            BCP's table of canticles for the rest of the year.

            Dave Wisner
            wisne1dm@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
              The office I find I'm most faithful to is the BCP 1979 Rite II MP and
              EP, done in the same way as in our parish church (but I do like
              experimenting with monastic offices, which makes me terribly
              undisciplined):

              Introductory sentence (MP: of the season or "Send out your light and
              your truth..."; EP: always "Let my prayer be set forth..."

              Opening versicle and response; Gloria Patri (and Alleluia except in Lent)

              Invitatory antiphon at MP

              Venite (MP) or Phos hilaron (EP)

              Invitatory antiphon at MP

              Psalms per the Daily Office Lectionary

              Lessons per the suggested scheme:
              Lessons 1 and 2 at MP in Year 1
              Lessons 1 and 3 at MP in Year 2
              Lesson 3 + Reading for the Daily Office From the Early Church at EP in Year 1
              Lesson 2 + Reading for the Daily Office From the Early Church at EP in Year 2

              Canticle after each lesson:
              MP: First canticle as in p. 144 table; second canticle always 16.
              Benedictus, except when 21. Te Deum is used, in which case canticles
              are 16. and then 21.
              EP: Always Mag and Nunc.

              Apostles' Creed except when Mass with Nicene Creed will follow
              directly (holy days)

              Salutation and Lord's Prayer (traditional)

              Suffrages (officiant's choice of the two options)

              Never the collect of the day, which is reserved for Mass.
              Instead, the collect of the day of the week

              Collect for Parochial Evangelism

              Prayer for Mission

              Any others at the officiant's choice

              The Lord be with you.
              And also with you.
              Let us bless the Lord.
              Thanks be to God.
              May the souls of all the faithful departed, + through the mercy of
              God, rest in peace.
              Amen.
              Angelus or Regina caeli, facing the BVM shrine

              --
              Scott R. Knitter
              Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                I've formatted Carl Fortunato's excellent four-week psalm schema into
                a Word table in Gill Sans and have made an Acrobat PDF of it.
                Unfortunately I cannot upload it to this group's files area. Any
                suggestions? Can I send it to someone for uploading?

                Carl, how do you decide which of the four weeks it is? What week are
                we in now? For that matter, how does Holy Cross Monastery determine
                what week it's in for the two-week Monastic Breviary schema?

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Several of us have made mention of Celebrating Common Prayer. I have the
                  older edition and am aware that there is a revised edition incorporating
                  texts from Common Worship. Is there anyone on the list (Steve? Simon?) who
                  is familiar with the new edition and would be able to comment on how it
                  differs from the previous edition?

                  Dave Wisner
                  wisne1dm@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                    I have the slim black volume CCP: The New Pocket Edition Incorporating
                    Common Worship Texts. It has the same seven-season/seven-day scheme
                    as CCP but far smaller range of psalms, and the readings are short
                    ones provided in the book itself. The texts of the psalms, canticles,
                    and prayers are from CW.

                    I'm thinking the latest edition of the full CCP is still the 1992 blue one.

                    Common Worship: Daily Prayer is due to come out in its permanent
                    edition any time now (May, I think).

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                      On 3/31/05 3:24 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:

                      > I'm thinking the latest edition of the full CCP is still the 1992 blue one.

                      There is a new edition of the full CCP as well (it looks like it's black, as
                      well). I've seen it listed on the Church House Publishing website and on the
                      Episcopal Book/Resource Center website. I'm trying to figure out whether the
                      new version is different enough to be worth purchasing (since I already have
                      the previous edition).

                      Dave
                    • James Morgan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                        I personally like the old monastic compline in the original Monastic
                        Diurnal, since the psalms remain the same. It was originally said in the
                        dark, at least during part of the year, so it was probably memorized. A
                        good thing to mentally carry with you into bed!

                        The eastern office is more complex, since a canon is called for that
                        requires a book. In monasteries it is frequently 'read in the cells'. But
                        the prayers before sleep don't change.

                        Rdr. James Morgan

                        I've formatted Carl Fortunato's excellent four-week psalm schema into
                        a Word table in Gill Sans and have made an Acrobat PDF of it.
                        Unfortunately I cannot upload it to this group's files area. Any
                        suggestions? Can I send it to someone for uploading?

                        Carl, how do you decide which of the four weeks it is? What week are
                        we in now? For that matter, how does Holy Cross Monastery determine
                        what week it's in for the two-week Monastic Breviary schema?

                        --
                        Scott R. Knitter
                        Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
                        mailto:scottknitter@... - http://scottknitter.blog-city.com
                      • Michael Joe Thannisch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                          I also do Lauds when I arise. Basically the Eucharistic opening, prayer of
                          humble access, Lauditory Psalm, Torah Portion for the day (I did the Gospel
                          at one time), pray the Lord's prayer, and prayer for dedication and Prayer
                          of St. Ingatius of Loyola followed by the grace. Makes a good waking up
                          prayer for one or for a group. For us MP is the family prayer.

                          Shalom B'Yeshua HaMoshiach

                          Michael Joe Thannisch+, SST, OSL
                          mjthan@...

                          The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.

                          >>I wrestle with whether to simply stick to the BCP 1979 office as read
                          >>in our parish church every day or to pray an enriched or even monastic
                          >>office. It's become clear to me that a full monastic one-week-psalter
                          >>office (such as the Anglican Breviary) is crazy except on a retreat,
                          >>snow day, etc., but I've found some enrichments that have worked well
                          >>for me for extended periods of time.
                          >

                          > I have my own form that's heavily based on the BCP and Celebrating
                          > Common Prayer. The canticles, invitatories, etc, are more geared to
                          > the liturgical season. I do four offices a day: Morning, Noon, Evening
                          > and Compline, and try to have a "free-form" prayer time in mid-morning,
                          > mid afternoon, and on my bed at night after the light goes out.
                          >
                          > I agree with you about the one-week psalter. I tried this briefly and
                          > it really did NOT work. Holy Cross Monastery in West Park, NY does a
                          > two-week Psalter, and O have found it good to take this psalter and
                          > "split" it over four weeks. I prefer it to the monthly BCP psalter
                          > because it includes Noonday and Compline, and is more geared to times
                          > and days.
                          >
                          > I'm not sure how well this will format in an email, but here it is.
                          > Psalm 95 is not included, since it so often the Invitatory.
                          >
                          > Week Day Matins Diurnum Vespers Compline
                          > 1 Sunday 99;118 1; 8 110;111;93 4;134
                          > 1 Monday 6;9 14;13 7 12;11
                          > 1 Tuesday 40;21 119:1-16 78:1-39 31
                          > 1 Wednes 38;60 41 78:40-72 49
                          > 1 Thurs 63;81 119:17-32 20 59
                          > 1 Friday 22 79 89 55
                          > 1 Satur 141;101;96 119:33-48 35 90
                          > 2 Sunday 32;146 84 104 91
                          > 2 Monday 3;76;87 119:49-64 37 26
                          > 2 Tuesday 70;57;144 36 66 133
                          > 2 Wednes 80;108 119:65-80 94 47
                          > 2 Thurs 27;92 48 106 62
                          > 2 Friday 83;149 119:81-96 137 131
                          > 2 Satur 113;45 56 135;67 86
                          > 3 Sunday 42;116 19 112;150 61
                          > 3 Monday 10;24 120;121 114 17
                          > 3 Tuesday 39;132 119:97-112 25 82
                          > 3 Wednes 109 122;123 69 54
                          > 3 Thurs 52;147 119:113-128 75 130
                          > 3 Friday 142;77 124;125 139 88
                          > 3 Satur 143;85 44 74;65 58
                          > 4 Sunday 43;26;98 15;23 107 34
                          > 4 Monday 5;64;100 119:129-144 18 30
                          > 4 Tuesday 145 126;127 68 33
                          > 4 Wednes 102;148 119:145-160 71 50
                          > 4 Thurs 72;29 128;129 105 115
                          > 4 Friday 51;138 119:161-176 28;103 140
                          > 4 Satur 2;46;97 117 136 73

                          > write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
                          > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo write to the owners/moderators, please
                          > send an email to:
                          > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • carl_fortunato
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                            > Carl, how do you decide which of the four weeks it is? What week are
                            > we in now? For that matter, how does Holy Cross Monastery determine
                            > what week it's in for the two-week Monastic Breviary schema?

                            I just started when I started as week 1, and have been cycling ever
                            since. Right now, I would normally be in week 4, but I'm out of the
                            cycle for Holy Week and Easter Week. After Easter Week, I'll go back
                            to the cycle and start on week 4. I don't know how Holy Cross
                            determines it.
                          • Simon Kershaw
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5, 2005
                              David Wisner wrote:

                              > On 3/31/05 3:24 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >>I'm thinking the latest edition of the full CCP is still the 1992 blue one.
                              >
                              > There is a new edition of the full CCP as well (it looks like it's black, as
                              > well). I've seen it listed on the Church House Publishing website and on the
                              > Episcopal Book/Resource Center website. I'm trying to figure out whether the
                              > new version is different enough to be worth purchasing (since I already have
                              > the previous edition).

                              Okay, this is the family tree.

                              In the beginning, circa 1992, there was CCP, the blue volume, a full
                              daily office boook (sans bible). From that book, David Stancliffe,
                              Bishop of Salisbury (i.e. +Sarum) and Br Tristam SSF produced a dark red
                              'pocket CCP' containing a slightly simplified form of the offices, a
                              revised calendar, and no lectionary, but instead selected 'short readings'.

                              About 3 years ago, the CofE's Liturgical Commission (of which +Sarum was
                              the Chairman, and Br Tristam a member) produced 'Common Worship: Daily
                              Prayer preliminary edition'. This was to a large extent a full revision
                              of the full edition of CCP, but this time as an official CofE
                              publication. It appeared as a red paperback, and was inteneded for a
                              couple of years or so of trial use leading to another revision which
                              would receive some sort of CofE authorization.

                              After the publication of CWDP (preliminary ed), the bishop and the friar
                              produced a new version of the CCP pocket edition. A smallish black
                              hardback, with pretty much the same contents as the earlier pocket
                              edition. This pocket edition was, however, a pocket edition not of CCP,
                              but to all intents and purposes of CWDP. Then, in August 2002 Br Tristam
                              was taken seriously ill, and he died at the end of December of that
                              year. (For various reasons, I inherited a lot of his computer files,
                              including his liturgical material -- good job too, as apparently nobody
                              else through whose hands it passed thought to keep a copy!).

                              Roll forward to 2005. A revision of the preliminary edition of CWDP is
                              about to be published as the somehow-or-other authorized office book of
                              the CofE. I understand that the Bp of Salisbury, who is no longer the
                              Chair of the Liturgical Commission, is revising the pocket CCP to align
                              it with the about-to-be published CWDP. I don't know what colour covers
                              either of these books will have! But I know that the full CWDP is
                              imminent as the PDF files have gone to press.

                              So, summary: there has only been one edition of the full CCP. There have
                              been two pocket editions of CCP, one red, one black. I suspect it is the
                              latter that David is referring to. It is not the full edition. If you
                              want what is essentially the revised CCP, then you want CWDP -- Common
                              Worship Daily Prayer. And for that you need to wait a few more weeks.

                              simon

                              --
                              Simon Kershaw
                              simon@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                                I know I'm replying to a post from a long time ago here, but I was
                                just starting to implement this cycle of psalms and realized that
                                psalm 26 comes up twice in the month, while psalms 16, 53, 130, and
                                144 do not come up at all. Is this deliberate?
                                Peace,
                                Daniel Lawson

                                On 3/31/05, cfortunato@... <cfortunato@...> wrote:

                                > >I wrestle with whether to simply stick to the BCP 1979 office as read
                                > >in our parish church every day or to pray an enriched or even monastic
                                > >office. It's become clear to me that a full monastic one-week-psalter
                                > >office (such as the Anglican Breviary) is crazy except on a retreat,
                                > >snow day, etc., but I've found some enrichments that have worked well
                                > >for me for extended periods of time.
                                >

                                > I have my own form that's heavily based on the BCP and Celebrating
                                > Common Prayer. The canticles, invitatories, etc, are more geared to
                                > the liturgical season. I do four offices a day: Morning, Noon, Evening
                                > and Compline, and try to have a "free-form" prayer time in mid-morning,
                                > mid afternoon, and on my bed at night after the light goes out.
                                >
                                > I agree with you about the one-week psalter. I tried this briefly and
                                > it really did NOT work. Holy Cross Monastery in West Park, NY does a
                                > two-week Psalter, and O have found it good to take this psalter and
                                > "split" it over four weeks. I prefer it to the monthly BCP psalter
                                > because it includes Noonday and Compline, and is more geared to times
                                > and days.
                                >
                                > I'm not sure how well this will format in an email, but here it is.
                                > Psalm 95 is not included, since it so often the Invitatory.
                                >
                                > Week Day Matins Diurnum Vespers Compline
                                > 1 Sunday 99;118 1; 8 110;111;93 4;134
                                > 1 Monday 6;9 14;13 7 12;11
                                > 1 Tuesday 40;21 119:1-16 78:1-39 31
                                > 1 Wednes 38;60 41 78:40-72 49
                                > 1 Thurs 63;81 119:17-32 20 59
                                > 1 Friday 22 79 89 55
                                > 1 Satur 141;101;96 119:33-48 35 90
                                > 2 Sunday 32;146 84 104 91
                                > 2 Monday 3;76;87 119:49-64 37 26
                                > 2 Tuesday 70;57;144 36 66 133
                                > 2 Wednes 80;108 119:65-80 94 47
                                > 2 Thurs 27;92 48 106 62
                                > 2 Friday 83;149 119:81-96 137 131
                                > 2 Satur 113;45 56 135;67 86
                                > 3 Sunday 42;116 19 112;150 61
                                > 3 Monday 10;24 120;121 114 17
                                > 3 Tuesday 39;132 119:97-112 25 82
                                > 3 Wednes 109 122;123 69 54
                                > 3 Thurs 52;147 119:113-128 75 130
                                > 3 Friday 142;77 124;125 139 88
                                > 3 Satur 143;85 44 74;65 58
                                > 4 Sunday 43;26;98 15;23 107 34
                                > 4 Monday 5;64;100 119:129-144 18 30
                                > 4 Tuesday 145 126;127 68 33
                                > 4 Wednes 102;148 119:145-160 71 50
                                > 4 Thurs 72;29 128;129 105 115
                                > 4 Friday 51;138 119:161-176 28;103 140
                                > 4 Satur 2;46;97 117 136 73

                                > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
                                > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • James Morgan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  Dear Daniel:

                                  Shhhh! Don't tell anyone!
                                  This has been one of the best kept liturgical secrets of the 'wild' West!

                                  Rdr. James
                                  Olympia, WA