Re: [liturgy-l] Musical Tabernacles?

  • cantor03@aol.com
    Message 1 of 77 , Feb 13, 2005
      The choir tenor section leader this morning told me that he had been at the
      local RC Cathedral yesterday [St. Peter's, Scranton, PA USA], and
      discovered,
      to his astonishment, that there was evidence of construction going on in the
      sanctuary of said Cathedral, and when he inquired about it was told that the
      new Bishop, installed about two years ago, has decided to rearrange the
      furniture: The Cathedra [Bishop's Chair] which was moved during the
      remodelling
      after Vatican-2 to the center position behind the high altar, is being moved
      back
      over to the Gospel side of the sanctuary. And stranger still, the
      Tabernacle,
      prominently positioned off to the Gospel side of the sanctuary is being moved
      front and center, behind the high altar where the Cathedra had more recently
      been located. I wonder if this will start a trend in the local Scranton
      Diocese?

      How does the new position of the Tabernacle fit in with current liturgical
      guidelines? Is this retroevolution?

      David Strang.

    • The Gonnermans
      Message 77 of 77 , Feb 28, 2005
        I once attended an Armenian liturgy, and for much of the service you could
        see the altar; they only closed the curtain on occasion. I attended a
        Maronite Mass, as well; it was quite a while ago, but I'm almost certain
        that you could see the altar. Of course, I understand that both rites have
        been romanized, so that could account for it; anyone more knowledgeable able
        to clarify?

        Grace and agape,
        Joshua

        Who needs drugs when you have a spinning chair?

        Another note is that not all Eastern altars are hidden
        > from view. Solid wall iconostasis are not the universal custom of Eastern
        > liturgies, and even curtains do not always obstruct the view from the
        > congregation. I don't think that this changes your central points, but it
        > is important to remember that Eastern liturgy and spirituality is not
        > without variation.
        >
        > thomas

        write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to: