Re: [liturgy-l] 9.5 Theses on Worship

  • Michael Joe Thannisch
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      From: "Bob White" <rwhite84@...>

      > 2-The word worship, when applied to public gatherings of the saints,
      > must not be reduced to a synonym for singing praises to God.

      Very true, the entire service, whether Daily Office, Eucharist or other
      should be worship.

      > 8-Those who lead the church in song are called to assist the
      > congregation in its singing, not to replace it-technologies such as
      > amplification must be used with theological and pastoral sensitivity.

      My pet peeve, organists or guitarists who play very loud. Mostly the
      congregation just stops singning.

      > 9-The Seeker that we must serve in our worship services is, first and
      > foremost, God himself.

      Something manyof us seem to forget.

      Shalom B'Yeshua HaMoshiach

      Michael Joe Thannisch
      mjthan@...

      The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.
    • Noel Stoutenburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        Michael Joe Thannisch first quoted Bob White, who wrote in part:

        >2-The word worship, when applied to public gatherings of the saints,
        >must not be reduced to a synonym for singing praises to God.

        and wrote

        >Very true, the entire service, whether Daily Office, Eucharist or other
        >should be worship.

        to which I would submit that even this is, in my view, far too limited a
        definition of "worship". I see it a more fitting concept that worship
        is the attitude of a person from which emerges everything one does. Or
        to put it as One more qualified than I, it is the attitude reflected in
        "You shall love the Lord your God with all your mind and all your heart
        and all your soul, and your neighbor as yourself". That, to me is worship.

        The Daily Office, and the Eucharist are very small parts of that for
        most of us.

        ns