Re: [liturgy-l] Persistence in Liturgy

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
      On 1/3/05 10:16 AM, "Jerry Kliner" <jerry_kliner@...> wrote:

      > Kyle Schiefelbein wrote:
      > " Happy Feast of the Holy Name (or as old Lutherans
      > would say, Happy Circumcision of Our Lord)"
      >
      > All I want to know is if you sang "O, Sacred Head Now
      > Wounded"????

      The old English Hymnal had "O Happy Day, when first" for the Feast of the
      Circumcision. The fourth verse runs:

      'Lord, circumcise our hearts, we pray,
      Our fleshly natures purge away;
      Thy name, thy likeness may they bear:
      Yea, stamp thy holy image there!'

      Alleluia, ouch, ouch!

      Doug Cowling
      ___________________________________
      Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
      Church of the Messiah
      Toronto
    • James Morgan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2005
        Dear Jerry and Doug:

        Naughty, naughty to both of you!
        It's a guy thing! But not necessarily a goy thing!

        Rdr. James
        Olympia, WA

        > " Happy Feast of the Holy Name (or as old Lutherans
        > would say, Happy Circumcision of Our Lord)"
        >
        > All I want to know is if you sang "O, Sacred Head Now
        > Wounded"????

        The old English Hymnal had "O Happy Day, when first" for the Feast of the
        Circumcision. The fourth verse runs:

        'Lord, circumcise our hearts, we pray,
        Our fleshly natures purge away;
        Thy name, thy likeness may they bear:
        Yea, stamp thy holy image there!'

        Alleluia, ouch, ouch!

        Doug Cowling
        ___________________________________
        Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
        Church of the Messiah
        Toronto
      • Lewis H Whitaker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2005
          I'm thinking we should snip this thread before things get out of hand!
          Oy VEY!!

          (I couldn't resist!)

          It's a guy thing! But not necessarily a goy thing!

          Rdr. James
          Olympia, WA

          > " Happy Feast of the Holy Name (or as old Lutherans
          > would say, Happy Circumcision of Our Lord)"
          >
          > All I want to know is if you sang "O, Sacred Head Now
          > Wounded"????

          The old English Hymnal had "O Happy Day, when first" for the Feast of
          the
          Circumcision. The fourth verse runs:

          'Lord, circumcise our hearts, we pray,
          Our fleshly natures purge away;
          Thy name, thy likeness may they bear:
          Yea, stamp thy holy image there!'

          Alleluia, ouch, ouch!

          Doug Cowling
          ___________________________________
          Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
          Church of the Messiah
          Toronto

          Visit the liturgy-l homepage at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liturgy-l/To write to the
          owners/moderators, please send an email to:
          liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo write to the owners/moderators, please
          send an email to:
          liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links