Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Most Masses per week?

  • dlawson@alumni.kzoo.edu
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 3, 2004
      On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:28 PM, Christian McConnell wrote:

      > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, asteresplanetai
      > <asteresplanetai@j...> wrote:
      >> +++
      >>
      >>> If, however, you count all masses publicized on the campus web
      > site
      >>> held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame in a week
      > (there may
      >>> well be others), you have the amazing total of one-hundred-forty-
      > six
      >>> masses in a normal week, and one-hundred-fifty-seven on football
      >>> weekends!!!
      >>
      >> regarding this and other statistics, the thought comes to mind that
      >> vespers and matins probably are not served at any of the places
      >> mentioned, ever. Except perhaps some monasteries.
      >
      > FWIW, at ND there is vespers once a week in the Basilica, on
      > Sundays. It is rather funny: daily Eucharist and weekly vespers. :)
      >
      > A couple of years ago, there was a move to at least recite the
      > breviary every day in one of the (many) chapels on campus. I don't
      > know if it "took" ...

      It didn't; it died out when a few people graduated. Fun while it
      lasted.
      The Notre Dame Peace Fellowship sang Compline on Monday nights last
      year, but this too is a thing of the past, at least for now.

      Peace,
      Daniel Lawson
      dlawson1@...
    • Michael Joe Thannisch
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 4, 2004
        I seem to recall that the Basilica of Escuipulas (Guatamala) has 8 masses
        per day, but that may have just been for solemnities.

        Shalom B'Yeshua HaMoshiach

        Michael Joe Thannisch
        mjthan@...

        The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.