Re: Rice Hosts

  • jeagal313
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
      My name is Derek John Thomas. I am a graduate of the Graduate
      Theological Union in Berkeley, California and am currently teaching
      in South Korea, Busan. As a way to keep abreast of current issues in
      Liturgical Studies I joined this group a few years ago but having
      very little time have not kept apace as I would like to have done.

      Father Douglas wrote yesterday:

      "Of course, the answer is
      simple. Those who are unable, for reason of their gluten intolerance,
      receive the Host can receive the Precious Blood. Christ is received,
      whole and
      entire, under either kind alone! I think that people are creating a
      problem
      where none exists!!"

      There is however a problem when one looks outside of the U.S.A.
      Receiving under both species is not the norm in the R.C. church in
      many countries I have lived in and visited. The list includes as
      diverse a group as South Korea and Italy. So, in addition to
      possible yeast allergies, there is a problem of common form of
      reception. I just thought that I should put that observation out for
      inspection.

      Derek John Thomas
      Catholic University of Pusan
      South Korea
    • Fr Douglas
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2004
        Leaving aside the issue of a concurrent yeast intolerance, it would only be a matter of explaining the situation to the priest offering the Mass. Such a communication would have to be made by someone wanting any form of Holy Communion that was not the "norm" in any case (such as using a special low-gluten host as some do).

        Fr Douglas
[...]

        liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo<mailto:liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo> write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
        liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com<mailto:liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com>
        Yahoo! Groups Links