Re: Mary, Mother of our Lord

  • Brian Bennett
    Message 1 of 64 , Aug 4, 2004
      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Father Robert Lyons, SST"
      <frrob@s...> wrote:

      > Actually, we don't celebrate the Assumption. The 'generic' and
      > 'non-offensive' title is "Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, our Lord and
      God",
      > though I prefer to focus on the Dormition (falling asleep) of Mary.
      >
      > It won't be too different. As a Feast, it demands the Rite I treatement
      > (in our Liturgy, Rite 1 is used for Sundays, Solemnities, and Feasts,
      > while Rite II is used for regular Weekdays and Commemorations).
      >
      > There will be a full confession instead of a penitential kyrie, the
      Gloria
      > is sung, the Creed is said. The Proper Preface for Mary is used,
      and the
      > Eucharistic Prayer for Festivals for Holy Women will be used as well.
      >
      > The Petitions will mention Mary, and of course, I'll preach about her
      > example.
      >
      > Rob+

      I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I have only heard it referred
      to as the Assumption by RC's that I have known. (One actually made a
      big deal that my wife and I were being married on the evening before
      the Assumption.) I would rather refer to it as Mary, Mother of our
      Lord.

      Why is it do you think, that some Protestant denominations allow Mary
      to be commemorated on a Sunday, but most Catholic congregations do
      not? Can you explain the reasoning behind the need to transfer the
      feast to Monday?

      Peace,
      Brian
    • Fr. Gregory R Jensen
      Message 64 of 64 , Aug 11, 2004
        > >Mary Montgomery <mmonty@...> wrote:

        The teaching on the Assumption does say that Mary died but her body was
        preserved from corruption by being assumed directly into heaven.

        Not to be argumentative, but in the East we (strictly speaking) don't
        celebrate the Assumption, but the Dormition of the Theotokos. For the
        Orthodox well, Mary in fact does suffer physical death, though she is
        preserved from corruption because (like Enoch, Moses & Eliajh in the OT),
        she is taken body and soul into heaven. So, in the hymns for the day we
        sing:

        In giving birth thou didst preserve thy virginity;/ in falling asleep
        thou didst not forsake the world, O Theotokos./ Thou wast translated to
        life, O Mother of Life,/ and by your prayers you deliver our souls from
        death.
        And:
        Neither the tomb nor death could hold the Theotokos,/ who is sleepless in
        her intercessions and an unchanging hope in her mediations./ For as the
        Mother of Life she was transferred to life/ by Him Who dwelt in her
        ever-virgin womb.

        In my ecumenical work, one of the great challenges, is the that while the
        Eastern & Western Churches often use the same language, and even
        celebrate overlapping feasts, we do so with slightly different
        understandings of the terminology and the feast. The difference between
        Dormituon and the Assumption is a good example of this divergent
        covergence. It also shows the wisdom of Fr. Robert Taft's observation
        that liturgical studies is a comparative discipline.
        In Christ,
        +Fr. Gregory Jensen
        Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
        Duquesne University, Department of Theology