Cliches

  • Tom Poelker
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
      I'm working on an essay that seems to want to organize itself around
      clichés concerning liturgy which are often used or abused argumentatively.
      So far I've referenced

      The church has always supported the arts.

      Shouldn't we give our best to God?

      One can only get out of liturgy what one puts in to it.

      Liturgy is worship.

      Liturgy is meant to praise God.

      Liturgy is the prayer of the whole church.

      The priest is the image of Christ..

      Good music is essential to liturgy.

      Any further clichés or rephrasings of the above, with or without your
      visceral responses, would be greatly appreciated.

      Tom Poelker
      St. Louis MO
      USA
    • Margaret metcalf
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
        What about the (seven) deadly words of church?
        We can't do that because we never have done it that
        way.
        Peggy Metcalf
        Verger/St. Mark's/Houston
        VP, Walter Mace Chapter VGEC

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • mbennett1944@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
          Liturgy should be "seeker-friendly."
          Why should a 21st century priest wear a 1st century costume?
          The music of the liturgy should like the music from the first button of your car radio.

          Mike Bennett

        • paulweary@lineone.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
            >From: Margaret metcalf <mlfm1943@...>

            >What about the (seven) deadly words of church?
            >We can't do that because we never have done it that
            >way.

            I think your version must have suffered some textual corruption :-)

            The phrase I'm familiar with is 'we've never done it that way before.'

            Shalom,

            --
            Paul Weary
            Croydon, UK

            Get Tiscali Broadband From £15:99
            http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband
          • Stephenie Rose Cooper
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
              In the Computing and High Tech industry, we used to use the acronym BWNDITW (But We've Never Done It That Way).

              For some reason, this discussion calls to mind Episcopal Light Bulb jokes ... http://www.stfrancisepiscopalchurch.org/Cooper/paradigms-lightbulbs.html

              @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>--

              Stephenie Rose Cooper
              mailto:goib2you@...

              St. Francis Episcopal Church
              www.stfrancisepiscopalchurch.org

              Episcopal School for Deacons
              www.sfd.edu

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=^..^=~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

              @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>-- @>--
              >What about the (seven) deadly words of church?
              >We can't do that because we never have done it that
              >way.

              I think your version must have suffered some textual corruption :-)

              The phrase I'm familiar with is 'we've never done it that way before.'

              Shalom,

              --
              Paul Weary
              Croydon, UK

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Christian McConnell
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Tom Poelker <TomPoelker@n...> wrote:

                <<I'm working on an essay that seems to want to organize itself around
                clichés concerning liturgy which are often used or abused
                argumentatively.>>

                [snip]

                <<Any further clichés or rephrasings of the above, with or without
                your visceral responses, would be greatly appreciated.>>

                Anything about "flow" ...

                Chris
              • James Morgan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                  "Liturgy is life!"

                  Rdr. James Morgan
                  Olympia, WA

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                    Gee, Margaret, that sounds SO-O-O- Orthodox!
                    How many Orthodox does it to change a light bulb?

                    Change? Is outrage!! Sounds of wailing and gnashing of teeth....

                    Rdr. James Morgan
                    Olympia, WA
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                      Here are my favorites:

                      We don't sing at liturgy, we sing the liturgy.

                      The liturgy never ends, it must be lived.

                      And my absolute favorite, a take-of from the late 80's "NIMBY"
                      movement: "NIMP - Not in MY Parish!"

                      Cody Unterseher