Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Receiving Communion

  • I. MacDonald
    Message 1 of 122 , Jul 1, 2004
      It was the Presbyterian custom to refer to Sunday as the Sabbath - probably shot form for 'sabbath of the new law'. I understand that in Scotland this is still the case.

      scottknitter@... wrote:On 30 Jun 2004 at 18:47, I. MacDonald wrote:

      > So you did that too. I did it at the local United Church and got very
      > little reaction - they were Presbyterians before union so maybe they
      > thought it was a return o 'the good old days'. I suspect that my
      > grandmother knew though. She gave me one of her 'looks' for the remainder
      > of the Sabbath. Ian+

      You had services on Saturdays?

      Ducking and running...Scott

      liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comTo write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
      liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      macdonaldyemcan2002@... or
      educayem@...
      fax: 1-425-648-3428

    • Father Robert Lyons, SST
      Message 122 of 122 , Jul 9, 2004
        Cody C. Unterseher said:
        > Does intinction violate the spirit of the Dominical command to take
        > and "drink"? I don't want to split hairs her (though that seems
        > inevitable) but I'm wondering if intinction does damage to the sign
        > value of drinking. . . even from <gulp! -- no pun intended>
        > individual cups.
        >
        > Cody Unterseher

        Cody,

        While I am sure it violates thew word of the command, I am not so sure
        about the spirit. It is still using the common cup to share the
        Sacrament, people are still consuming the blood of Christ from the
        consecrated cup, and so I'd prefer Intinction to individual cups. It also
        is less messy than the other alternative, which is to make individual cups
        avaliable and use a pouring chalice to commune the people. I just see
        visions of Luther lapping up the Precious Blood when I hear about those
        things.

        Rob+

        --
        Father Robert Lyons, SST
        "Purity in doctrine, compassion in application."