Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Receiving Communion

  • Bob White
    Message 1 of 122 , Jun 30, 2004
      On 30 Jun 2004 at 22:13, Michael Joe Thannisch wrote:

      > Mr. Welch inventing the pasteurising process which keeps the grape juice
      > grape juice instead of allowing it to ferment).

      And the folks in Erie PA are glad that he did. Just to the east of
      here, in the vineyards through which I often bicycle, are about
      14,000 acres of mostly Concord Grapes that eventually wind up in the
      Methodist Communion trays. There are also a few small and
      unexceptional winerys and a few other than Concords, so Welch doesn't
      get all the goodies.

      BTW, I understand that it was Bp. Welch.

      Robert Jenson ( Lutheran theologian of some note) remarked
      occasionally about the use of grape juice for the sacrament that "one
      could either believe in Jesus or Welches."

      Not far from where he said this, and this was the mid 1980's, was a
      Lutheran congregation with a WCTU chapter.

      Bob

      + + + + + + + + + + +
      Worship is transcendent wonder.
      ----Thomas Carlyle

      Pastor Robert White
      Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
      863 Silliman Ave.
      Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
      814-899-3264
      email: rwhite@...
      church: christredeemer@...
    • Father Robert Lyons, SST
      Message 122 of 122 , Jul 9, 2004
        Cody C. Unterseher said:
        > Does intinction violate the spirit of the Dominical command to take
        > and "drink"? I don't want to split hairs her (though that seems
        > inevitable) but I'm wondering if intinction does damage to the sign
        > value of drinking. . . even from <gulp! -- no pun intended>
        > individual cups.
        >
        > Cody Unterseher

        Cody,

        While I am sure it violates thew word of the command, I am not so sure
        about the spirit. It is still using the common cup to share the
        Sacrament, people are still consuming the blood of Christ from the
        consecrated cup, and so I'd prefer Intinction to individual cups. It also
        is less messy than the other alternative, which is to make individual cups
        avaliable and use a pouring chalice to commune the people. I just see
        visions of Luther lapping up the Precious Blood when I hear about those
        things.

        Rob+

        --
        Father Robert Lyons, SST
        "Purity in doctrine, compassion in application."