Re: [liturgy-l] Crucified or Resurrected Christ?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      on 6/1/04 1:29 AM, asteresplanetai at asteresplanetai@... wrote:

      > Yes, but where is the resurrection?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > john burnett.

      This is medieval eucharistic piety. Look at artistic representations of St.
      Gregory's Mass with the Man of Sorrows standing above the altar bleeding
      onto the oblation, or the Crucifixion with angels catching the Blood of
      Christ in chalices.

      Even the Ghent Altarpiece, which shows the mystical theology of the mass,
      depicts the Lamb of God standing on an altar vested in red and bleeding into
      a chalice. This is directly above the fountain of life from which a little
      channel of water flows out of the bottom of the painting and into the
      now-lost tabernacle where the Host was perpetually displayed behind a
      grille.

      Contrast Van Eyck's paintingt with Raphael's "Disputa" which perhaps for the
      first time in Western art shows the sacrament in juxtaposition with the
      Glorified Christ. There was a significant controversory about twenty years
      ago when liturgists, in an attempt to recapture the resurrection for the
      mass, promoted representations of the resurrected Christ instead of the more
      traditional crucified Jesus. This became a very politicized question.
      Needless to say, the tridenistas always have the traditional crucified
      corpus on their altars.

      Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
      Church of the Messiah
      Toronto
    • asteresplanetai
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        +++

        > From: Douglas Cowling <dcowling@...>

        > > Yes, but where is the resurrection?

        > Even the Ghent Altarpiece, which shows the mystical theology of the mass,
        > depicts the Lamb of God standing on an altar vested in red and bleeding into
        > a chalice.

        Well, yes.

        the original correspondent asked for something for the parish bulletin.
        So, obvious question: what piety should we encourage with our parish bulletins?

        regards,

        john burnett