Re: [liturgy-l] Corpus Christi poem - help please?

  • asteresplanetai
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2004
      +++

      > From: Douglas Cowling <dcowling@...>

      > THE CORPUS CHRISTI CAROL
      >
      > He bare him up, he bare him down,
      > He bare him into an orchard brown....

      > In that bed there lieth a knight
      > His woundes bleeding, day and night.

      Yes, but where is the resurrection?

      Regards

      john burnett.

      .
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        on 6/1/04 1:29 AM, asteresplanetai at asteresplanetai@... wrote:

        > Yes, but where is the resurrection?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > john burnett.

        This is medieval eucharistic piety. Look at artistic representations of St.
        Gregory's Mass with the Man of Sorrows standing above the altar bleeding
        onto the oblation, or the Crucifixion with angels catching the Blood of
        Christ in chalices.

        Even the Ghent Altarpiece, which shows the mystical theology of the mass,
        depicts the Lamb of God standing on an altar vested in red and bleeding into
        a chalice. This is directly above the fountain of life from which a little
        channel of water flows out of the bottom of the painting and into the
        now-lost tabernacle where the Host was perpetually displayed behind a
        grille.

        Contrast Van Eyck's paintingt with Raphael's "Disputa" which perhaps for the
        first time in Western art shows the sacrament in juxtaposition with the
        Glorified Christ. There was a significant controversory about twenty years
        ago when liturgists, in an attempt to recapture the resurrection for the
        mass, promoted representations of the resurrected Christ instead of the more
        traditional crucified Jesus. This became a very politicized question.
        Needless to say, the tridenistas always have the traditional crucified
        corpus on their altars.

        Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
        Church of the Messiah
        Toronto
      • asteresplanetai
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
          +++

          > From: Douglas Cowling <dcowling@...>

          > > Yes, but where is the resurrection?

          > Even the Ghent Altarpiece, which shows the mystical theology of the mass,
          > depicts the Lamb of God standing on an altar vested in red and bleeding into
          > a chalice.

          Well, yes.

          the original correspondent asked for something for the parish bulletin.
          So, obvious question: what piety should we encourage with our parish bulletins?

          regards,

          john burnett