Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Redemptionis Sacramentum.

    Message 1 of 35 , May 12, 2004
      In a message dated 5/12/2004 6:20:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      thomas@... writes:
      I think a lot of Catholic liturgists might share your bemusement
      over the pouring ban. I am not convinced it is needed, and I can only
      speculate as to why it might be considered an abuse. I suspect it is
      because of fear of the Sacrament being mishandled or spilling, or perhaps
      there is a feeling that it overly handles and manipulates the sacrament. I
      don't know. It does appear to be motivated by a concern about reverence
      for the Sacrament though.

      My impression is that the quasi-requirement in the Episcopal Church that only
      one chalice may be on the altar during the consecration is also motivated by
      "a concern about reverence for the Sacrament" -- that at the Last Supper there
      was only one chalice.

    • Michael Joe Thannisch
      Message 35 of 35 , May 13, 2004
        You are quite correct. Those who helped prepare the 1979 BCP wanted a
        single chalice and loaf to make the statement that we are one body.

        Shalom B'Yeshua HaMoshiach

        Michael Joe Thannisch
        mjthan@...

        The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.