Low Voice [was RE: [liturgy-l] new translation]

  • James O'Regan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
      James wrote and I snipped:

      > The reason some blessings are in a 'low voice' might be that they are
      > not a general blessing of the assembly but directed to one person
      > only.

      I'm not a big fan of "private" prayer and I don't see its liturgical purpose
      until maybe now. I propose an alternate reason that the ritual or liturgical
      function of these, in the western rites esp RC, rare events may be to serve
      as a reminder that individuals participate in liturgy.

      The assembly as sign and as ministry has received a good deal of deserved
      focus both in the revisions of rites and in theological thinking. It is very
      easy to forget that an assembly is at least an aggregate of individuals and
      at best a community of individuals.

      In the tendency to have "mass" movement in the rites, the rare instance of
      an individual moment that is none-the-less publicly displayed might
      express the fact of individuals.

      The reception of that fact by the assembly would be interesting to discover.
      What does the assembly take away when such an event happens?

      James O'Regan
    • episcopusseliensis
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        According to Russian cathedral practice the choir often sings the
        Kherubikon - and more songs on and on - while the priest is doing "his
        part" behind the iconostasis in "low voice" - and then, suddenly the
        priest appears with the Mysteries, proclaiming "The Holy for the Holies."

        Christ is risen !
        +Johannes Ephrem