Benedictus in Lent

  • Adam Barner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      Greetings:

      I was attended a church on Ash Wednesday that I had never been to
      before. The rector explained during the announcements that "Blessed
      is He who comes in the name of the Lord...." would not be sung at
      that parish until palm sunday. The reason had something to do with
      Jesus weeping over the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. I am
      wondering if this is a practice that is used elsewhere, and if so,
      what is the exact significance? Thanks.

      Adam Barner
      USA
      adambarner@...
    • Mark Preece
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hello Adam--

        I've never heard of this practice, but the rector's reference must be to
        Luke 13:22-35, this week's gospel in the Episcopal lectionary:

        "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those
        who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children
        together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not
        willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see
        me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is the one who comes in the
        name of the Lord.'"

        I'll be interested to hear if others have run across this custom.

        Peace,

        Mark.