Re: [liturgy-l] introducing myself; Hugh Wybrew; liturgy books

  • Andrew Witcombe-Small
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      Yes, Fr Hugh Wybrew is still very much around and will be retiring this
      coming summer. I am thinking of forwarding information about this group to
      him and to others with liturgical interests.

      He does have an email address and you can find it on the church website
      under 'contact the Vicar'.

      "A small collection of liturgy books" means just that; Anglican (BCP and
      Missal); Orthodox; Armenian; Old Catholic (German and French; I worshipped
      with the OCs when I was a student in Germany years ago) - in short, a few
      bits and pieces that I have picked up over the years. Collecting liturgy
      books is the sort of thing that could easily swallow up my income and living
      space and be a substitute for worship; it's still a fascinating subject,
      though, and one that I would like to know more about.

      Andrew Witcombe-Small
      andrew.w-small@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
        On 31 Jan 2004 at 0:44, Andrew Witcombe-Small wrote:

        > Collecting liturgy
        > books is the sort of thing that could easily swallow up my income and
        > living space and be a substitute for worship

        Wow...you've described what has happened to me. During the past
        year, though, I've trimmed my collection quite drastically. You can
        see many of my books if you visit the parish library at the Church of
        St Mary Magdalene, Toronto. I wanted to send them to an active, well-
        used parish library. It doesn't hurt that SMM is one of my favourite
        parishes.

        --
        Scott Knitter - mailto:scottknitter@... - Chicago USA
      • asteresplanetai
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
          Blessed be God.

          > From: "Andrew Witcombe-Small" <andrew.w-small@...>
          > Subject: Re: introducing myself; Hugh Wybrew; liturgy books
          >
          > Yes, Fr Hugh Wybrew is still very much around and will be retiring this
          > coming summer. I am thinking of forwarding information about this group to
          > him and to others with liturgical interests.

          that would be fun. i take it is book on orthodox liturgy (whcih i read a
          while ago) is controversial in some quarters.

          > He does have an email address and you can find it on the church website
          > under 'contact the Vicar'.
          >
          > "A small collection of liturgy books" means just that; Anglican (BCP and
          > Missal); Orthodox; Armenian; Old Catholic (German and French; I worshipped
          > with the OCs when I was a student in Germany years ago) - in short, a few
          > bits and pieces that I have picked up over the years. Collecting liturgy
          > books is the sort of thing that could easily swallow up my income and living
          > space and be a substitute for worship; it's still a fascinating subject,
          > though, and one that I would like to know more about.

          liturgy books couldn't possibly eat up *all* of one's income, since
          there are so many other kinds of books to buy as well.

          anyway, what do you do?

          by the way, folks: speaking of books, just found out that Margaret
          Barker has a new one out, The Great High Priest, about the priesthood in
          the Jewish Temple. I think some of the articles on my website are
          earlier versions of parts of it. Anyway, can't wait to see it, this is
          great stuff!

          Regards,

          John Burnett