Glorious Things of Hayden and Fallersleben (was: Sacred & Profane -

  • Gregory Holmes Singleton
    Message 1 of 91 , Dec 1, 2003
      Matt Weber wrote:

      <<"Deutschland über alles" was in fact the Imperial German
      anthem. . .>>

      Ironically, what MATT Weber asserts was not even true in the lifetime
      of MAX Weber (1864-1920)who was born before unification and the
      creation the Second Reich (1871-1918) and died shortly after he
      helped craft the constitution for the Weimar Republic.

      To add briefly (but not as briefly as some might wish) to Pastor
      Senn's (and others') useful remarks on this thread, the melody from
      Hayden's 1797 "String Quartet in C major (the Kaiser-Quartet)"
      appears as "Austria" with the text of John Newton's 1779 "Glorious
      Things of the Are Spoken" in _The Chapel Hymnal_ published in 1804 in
      London by Heathery. (I have been able to find no information on the
      use to which this Hymnal was put.) This, of course, predates the
      unification of Germany by 67 years, and I have no reason to assert
      that this was the earliest pairing of this tune with this (or some
      other) text in a hymnal.

      The words to "Das Lied der Deutschen" (better known by the familiar
      first line,
      "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles") were written by Heinrich
      Hoffmann von Fallersleben in 1841, which he set to Hayden's melody.
      Fallersleben was an advocate of German unification and liberal
      republican government. His fervor for a progressive vision was
      perceived as disloyalty by several princes. As a result,
      Fallersleben fled to Heligoland, an island in the North Sea, where he
      wrote "Das Lied der Deutschen."

      The Empire never had a national anthem and I have never seen any
      reference to the use of this liberal republican song for Imperial
      state occasions, not surprisingly. Indeed, Fallersleben/Hayden seems
      to have suffered from neglect until World War I, when it was sung by
      soldiers in the battlefield. It was not until 1922 that "Das Lied
      der Deutschen", set to Hayden's tune, was declared the official
      national anthem by Friedrich Ebert, President of the new Weimar
      Republic.

      This is perhaps more trivia than anyone wants to know, but I do have
      a trivial mind (though I teach mostly quadrivial courses).

      Pax et curmudgeum,

      Greg

      Gregory Holmes Singleton, Ph.D.
      Professor, Chair and Resident Old Curmudgeon
      Department of History, Northeastern Illinois University
      Chicago, IL 60625 (773)442-5606 fax (773)442-5620
      G-Singleton@... or gregory.singleton@...
      http://www.neiu.edu/~ghsingle/
    • Mar Johannes Ephrem
      Message 91 of 91 , Dec 5, 2003
        To "the musical Jesus" you may add this information

        Matt 26:30
        30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

        In Christ
        +Johannes Ephrem