Advent and innovations

  • shane4034
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2003
      It is beyond me why anyone would presume to know better than the
      Church what liturgical colors to use during Advent or any other
      season.

      Advent calls for reduction in the use of the organ (except Gaudete
      Sunday and the Immaculate Conception) and for certain novenas, the O
      Antiphons, and etc.....

      I can understand why non-Catholic churches might use non-traditional
      colors and the such because there is not as much regulation of these
      things there but to impose innovations on the people in a Roman
      Catholic setting is an extreme form of clericalism and even causes
      scandal because it goes against Church norms.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2003
        on 11/24/03 2:57 PM, shane4034 at dmand7@... wrote:

        > It is beyond me why anyone would presume to know better than the
        > Church what liturgical colors to use during Advent or any other
        > season.
        >
        > Advent calls for reduction in the use of the organ (except Gaudete
        > Sunday and the Immaculate Conception) and for certain novenas, the O
        > Antiphons, and etc.....
        >
        > I can understand why non-Catholic churches might use non-traditional
        > colors and the such because there is not as much regulation of these
        > things there but to impose innovations on the people in a Roman
        > Catholic setting is an extreme form of clericalism and even causes
        > scandal because it goes against Church norms.

        I think the larger point is that unity should not be confused with
        uniformity. The medieval church was quite happy with its rainbow of Advent
        colours. It is only in recent centuries that diversity in peripherals was
        seen as threatening. One could add the 1903 Motu Proprio on church music
        which tried to impose Italian pronuniciation of Latin on the universal
        church. The Germans still sing "Kyrie" to sound like the second syllable of
        "Walk├╝re".

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2003
          >One could add the 1903 Motu Proprio on church music
          >which tried to impose Italian pronuniciation of Latin on the universal
          >church.

          Not wanting to distract from your point, but you need another example. Tra
          le sollecitudini didn't do that.

          thomas