Re: [liturgy-l] Lutheran Funerals in church

  • Theodore R. Lorah, Jr.
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 4, 2003
      >>Lutheran practice is to always use the color of the day or season for
      >>weddings and funerals. So one has to be very careful about when one gets
      >>marries or
      >>dies. :)

      I have had serious conversations with my colleagues about this issue. I
      have no problem with the color of the day for a wedding. it is a
      "movable" feast, after all. However, a funeral is a service based on
      the resurrection of Jesus. It is not simply a celebration of a person's
      life, but a celebration of Jesus' resurrection, which enables the rest
      of humanity to be raised from the dead, as Jesus is "the first fruits
      of them that sleep." A service of resurrection should be white,
      regardless of the other circumstances.

      Ted Lorah
    • Sandford MacLean
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 15, 2003
        David wrote: As you mention, only the Diocesan bishop
        carries the crozier in the local RC diocese."

        Dear David,

        Mostly right. The Ordinary uses the crozier in his own diocese, but he may
        give assisting bishops the right to use it as well. There no longer is to
        be a distintion made as to which direction the crook faces for which sort of
        bishop: the curved crook is turned away from the prelate.

        In certain rites of the Church, a bishop is required to use the crozier
        WHATEVER his rank, e.g. ordinations, consecrations of churches.

        Sandford MacLean