Sarum Prymer

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      Here's an out-of-the-ordinary question for you. Our rector regularly
      recites
      prayer from the Sarum Primer at the close of the weekly Eucharist before
      the
      post-communion blessing, and someone has asked me if I can find them a
      copy
      of
      the Sarum Primer. They have apparently researched it and cannot find
      one.

      Is there a print source for this old material? Is it
      (hope-against-hope)
      available electronically? Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you
      can
      offer!

      Douglas,

      I don't think the Sarum Primer is available in a modern edition.

      If you have a university library with a good medieval collection you will
      find a selection of prymer materials printed in the series, The Early
      English Text Society (EETS). If I recall, there are two volumes: "The
      Lay-Folks Mass Book" and "The Lay-Folks Prayer Book" (?)

      Indispensable reading for anyone interested in the texts which were in the
      background of the first Prayer Books. Also a good perspective on the depth
      of popular devotion in the pre-Reformation period, a period which is
      unfairly maligned.

      Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
      Church of the Messiah
      Toronto
    • Ormonde Plater
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        He may be reading the prayer "From the Sarum Primer" in the Saint
        Augustine's Prayer Book (published by the Order of the Holy Cross), page 30:

        God be in my head, and in my understanding;
        God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
        God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
        God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
        God be at my end, and at my departing.

        Ormonde Plater
        oplater@...
      • Michael Joe Thannisch
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2003
          Dear Doug,

          There is a print source, but it may take me a while to find it. My hard
          drive self destructed while I was in the process of adding hardware to back
          up everything. There is an Coptic church and monastery in Austin, TX that
          uses the Sarum rite and has it for sale.

          Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

          Michael Joe Thannisch

          The beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.