Re: [liturgy-l] Pastors

  • Thomas R. Jackson
    Message 1 of 71 , Oct 1, 2003
      Lutherans seem to use the title regularly for the head of a parish. Does
      this practice date to Luther? Was it a new practice or an extension of
      prior custom?

      thomas

    • cantor03@aol.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Oct 5, 2003
        In a message dated 10/5/03 3:20:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        przip@... writes:

        <<
        One of my parishioners, an immigrant from Germany, calls me "Herr Pharrer"
        wwhen addressing me in German.

        And, undoubtedly, your wife [if you are married] as "Frau Herr Pharrer."

        When I lived in Frankfurt/Main, we sent patients to the U. Frankfurt for
        x-ray therapy for skin cancers. Everything was channeled through the
        Professor and Department Chairman. Unless our US Army receptionist
        making the appointment referred to him as "Herr Doktor Professor Hermann,"
        the receptionist at U. Frankfurt would refuse to make the appointment.

        Professor Hermann's wife was properly called
        "Frau Herr Doktor Professor Hermann."

        David Strang.