Re: [liturgy-l] Pastors

  • Nathan Nettleton
    Message 1 of 71 , Sep 30, 2003
      "Thomas R. Jackson" wrote:

      > How long has the name "pastor", or its equivalent in Latin or other
      > languages, been applied to parish priests?

      On and off since New Testament times?

      I would have thought that along with "bishop", "presbyter" and "elder",
      it was one of the terms that predates the use of "priest" to refer to
      the ordained leader of a congregation.

      Peace and hope,

      Nathan

      _____________________________________
      Nathan Nettleton
      Pastor, South Yarra Community Baptist Church
      Melbourne, Australia
      mailto:nathan@...
      _____________________________________
    • cantor03@aol.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Oct 5, 2003
        In a message dated 10/5/03 3:20:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        przip@... writes:

        <<
        One of my parishioners, an immigrant from Germany, calls me "Herr Pharrer"
        wwhen addressing me in German.

        And, undoubtedly, your wife [if you are married] as "Frau Herr Pharrer."

        When I lived in Frankfurt/Main, we sent patients to the U. Frankfurt for
        x-ray therapy for skin cancers. Everything was channeled through the
        Professor and Department Chairman. Unless our US Army receptionist
        making the appointment referred to him as "Herr Doktor Professor Hermann,"
        the receptionist at U. Frankfurt would refuse to make the appointment.

        Professor Hermann's wife was properly called
        "Frau Herr Doktor Professor Hermann."

        David Strang.