the nature of worship

  • harhare@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003

      > and worship God in the woods and
      >
      > fields where there are no organs, just an
      >
      > occasional harmonica.
      >
      > ______________________________________
      >
      > Scott Knitter, Chicago USA
      >
      > mailto:scottknitter@...

      Scott, respectfully I have never met a pine liturgy that inspired too much
      more than a respect for evergreens (I think God wants us to harvest, carve,
      paint, psalm and poem nature that we might glorify the creator and the redeemer of
      co-fallen earth and I think that organs and their stops will last longer than
      all the harmonicas in the world if for no other reason that there is a
      multitude to join the adoration and not that many can hear a small single mouthed
      instrument or sing in harmony.... unison is a more heavenly sound, methinks.
      And to be drowned out but an archangel or lost in a descant, is also humbling
      and churchly. Well, but it is only my opinion and you are welcome to hum along
      with yours .... as long as the organ is not moved to replace the altar and
      those who use harmonicae do not tap their wetness on their neighbors... Harvey
      Mozolak

    • scottknitter@rcn.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
        On 2 Aug 2003 at 9:30, harhare@... wrote:

        > Well, but
        > it is only my opinion and you are welcome to hum along with yours .... as
        > long as the organ is not moved to replace the altar and those who use
        > harmonicae do not tap their wetness on their neighbors.

        I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Keillor. Just found his
        words entertaining.
      • Bob White
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
          On 2 Aug 2003 at 9:01, scottknitter@... wrote:

          > I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Keillor. Just found his
          > words entertaining.

          Some days we need a little humor. Those who have inhabited the
          liturgy-l list in its various incarnations over a decade or so know
          that Knitter's sympathies are with fairly high liturgical
          celebrations, organ music, and all the other liturgical trappings we
          think important.

          To paraphrase Freud: Sometimes humor is just humor.

          Bob

          + + + + + + + + + + +
          Of all acts of man repentance is the most divine.
          The greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none.
          -----Thomas Carlyle

          Pastor Robert White
          Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
          863 Silliman Ave.
          Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
          814-899-3264
          email: rwhite@...