Re: [liturgy-l] Covering statues during Lent

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
      In a message dated 4/9/2003 3:14:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      dcowling@... writes:

      > Only the crosses are unveiled on Good Friday. Statues are unveiled at the
      > Gloria of the Easter Vigil.

      Per p 327 of the latest (1964) issue of Ritual Notes, "When the cross has
      been unveiled, servers go to unveil all other crosses in the church and
      sacristy, but not pictures or images." So you are correct. Wonder where we
      got the above, which we've been doing for years?!

      David Lewis
      DLewisAAO@...

    • Lewis H Whitaker
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
        OR, the cross may be unveiled in situ. It may be unveiled at the altar OR in
        procession, making "stations" as one would for the Paschal candle. I think
        the former is the older practice, the latter being newer.

        LHW

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
          asteresplanetai@... writes:

          << Yes, that one, though they spell it Madelein, just like the cookie.
          I've been back to see the refurbishment, >>

          The sites I just checked on line spell it "Madelaine."

          Whatever the spelling-

          In any case, it's worth a visit. Interestingly, when I visited the top
          observation
          deck of the IDS Tower, my guide, a charming nurse [where do they find
          these young people!] volunteer, took pains to point out the Cathedral
          from that spectacular vantage point, and she volunteered the information
          that she had been there for liturgies a number of occasions, including
          an Easter Vigil.

          David Strang.