Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Laetare

  • Thomas R. Jackson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      >The psalm texts are old Vulgate; the antiphons are close. Most of
      >them do reflect some poetic reworking.

      it's my understanding that the propers are largely from a version which
      predates the Vulgate. corrections or further information welcome.

      thomas
    • fcsenn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 6:29 AM
        In a message dated 3/31/2003 8:40:44 PM Central Standard Time,
        thomas@... writes:

        > I don't think that most of the propers are based on the Vulgate.

        Actually, one of the issues you run into with liturgical texts is that they
        often create their own translations of scripture rather than using a standard
        translation. Often this is for musical considerations. Sometimes antiphons
        (which all Introits have) are actually conflations of texts. The verse part
        of the Introit may be a more direct quote.

        FCSenn