Valid. Licit & Appropriate

    Message 1 of 61 , Mar 2, 2003
      on 3/2/03 12:36 PM, Thomas Jackson at thomas@... wrote:

      > What you wrote, James, as I quoted in my response to you, was:
      >
      > "What was not defined in either position was the matter of
      > what is "illicit." I'm not even sure that "licity" is a concern of
      > church law." If you can't even keep your own posts straight, and keep on
      > misreading or misrepresenting my own, and you aren't willing to take your
      > own advice about reading canon law, then I really do not see the point of
      > this.
      >
      > Your own statements have several factual errors. My original statements
      > about what is licit and valid under canon law are accurate. If anyone
      > else is really is interested enough for me to expand on this, or has any
      > questions about what I wrote, I will be happy to answer them. however, I
      > don't see any point in continuing this Alice in wonderland exchange with
      > you James, so I won't.
      >
      > thomas

      There is another dimension here: appropriatenes. While it may be licit and
      valid to have a priest celebrate the mass alone, it is not appropriate. The
      first eucharist was a corporate liturgy which was expressed by the communal
      sign of Christ and his followers sat down together. To celebrate without an
      assembly is to diminish the sign of unity.

      I would say the same of communion under one kind. Yes, the doctrine of
      concomittance assures believers that they receive the sacrament fully even
      if they take the host alone. But the fullness of the sacramental sign which
      Christ gave us is only expressed when bread and wine are both received.

      Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
      Church of the Messiah
      Toronto
    • catherineadillon