Re: [liturgy-l] Tridentistas?

  • cantor03@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      In a message dated 2/28/03 7:29:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mrteacher4034@... writes:

      << What do those who use the term "Tridentistas" or "Tridentines" mean
      by these terms? Is it a description of Catholics who use the 1962
      missal or Catholics in general? Many Catholics love participating in
      both missals while many Catholics who never participate in the 1962
      missal are every bit as conservative as those who do.

      I use the term for those whose primary worship is via the 1962 Missal.

      Most of them, though not all of these people, are conservative.

      This includes the parishes world wide that are staffed by the FSSP, and
      also those numerous "Indult" Latin Rite congregations.

      David Strang.
    • Mary Montgomery
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
        shane4034 wrote:

        >What do those who use the term "Tridentistas" or "Tridentines" mean
        >by these terms? Is it a description of Catholics who use the 1962
        >missal or Catholics in general? Many Catholics love participating in
        >both missals while many Catholics who never participate in the 1962
        >missal are every bit as conservative as those who do.

        For Roman Catholics it specifically refers to those who choose the Latin
        Mass according to the 1962
        Missal only. The majority of these would not be seen dead at a Novus
        Ordo Mass. Their dedication
        to the Mass promulgated after the Council of Trent often means they
        travel long distances to attend
        this Mass when they could quite easily attend a local Novus Ordo Mass.
        While the Indult granting them permission for the celebration of the pre
        Vatican II Rite specifies that
        it should be the according to the 1962 Missal there are a reasonably
        large number who prefer and have
        obtained much earlier versions that predate the changes made by Pius XII
        in around 1954.
        Their reasoning is that the Pope who promulgated the "Tridentine" Mass
        stated that this Mass was to
        never to be changed or added to in any way and was to stand "forever" as
        the Latin Rite.
        Any understanding of liturgical history would soon disabuse them of the
        notion of any Rite holding
        "forever" but history is not usually their strongpoint.
        Their stance is one of conscience and they are willing to make great
        sacrifices to hold fast to their decision
        in conscience. We may consider their decision ill-informed and unwise
        but their devotion and willingness to
        make such sacrifices can only be admired.
        Peace...
        MaryM (the AussieRC)