Re: [liturgy-l] Re: St. Anskar

  • Bob White
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
      On 3 Feb 2003 at 21:08, Sandford MacLean wrote:

      > Yep ... "St. James-Bond United Church".

      I may have mentioned this before but in Altoona Pa there is Christ
      Second Lutheran Church.

      Bob

      + + + + + + + + + + +
      Every thing that is done in the world is done by hope.
      ------Martin Luther

      Pastor Robert White
      Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
      863 Silliman Ave.
      Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
      814-899-3264
      email: rwhite@...
      church: christredeemer@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
        on 2/3/03 9:08 PM, Sandford MacLean at JSFMACLJR@... wrote:

        > Chris wrote: "Ah, but my favourite Toronto church name is the United Church
        > on Bond
        > St., named after the brother of the Lord.
        >
        > Yep ... "St. James-Bond United Church".
        >

        > I think it is on Avenue Road, actually.

        "Thou shalt stir them not shake them"

        Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
        Church of the Messiah
        Toronto
      • cfortunato@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
          dcowling@... writes:

          <<
          > There's a St. Anskar's Episcopal Church in Rockford,
          > Illinois, an area that has a lot of Swedish heritage.

          Toronto has a Lutheran church with the proud sign:

          "St. Anskar, Apostle of the North"

          One of the Chapels in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine is the chapel of
          St. Anskar.
        • Simon Kershaw
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
            Vincent O. Eareckson wrote:

            > ECUSA has chosen Anskar.
            >
            > But by what criteria of choice, that is an interesting question. Here
            > one of the principles of formation of the Kalendar, namely increasing its
            > breadth of coverage of the Church, appears to be at least one reason for

            Anskar was, I think, added to the CofE's calendar in the 1928 proposed
            prayer book. The reason for including it was as a sign of the friendship
            between the Anglican and Swedish churches. Similarly the feast of
            Willibrord was added as a sign of friendship with the Old Catholic Churches.

            It was not long after that this friendship developed into full mutual
            recognition and intercommunion between, and our celebration of these
            major feasts of our fellow Christians is a sign of our unity with them.

            > Anskar/Angarisus rather than Blasius [thus Blase or Blaise, but not
            > uninterested!]. Rather than one more "southerner" admittedly Armenian
            > rather than Latin, we have a "northerner". And the patient witness of
            > Anskar is an sncouraging one. The LFF bio of Anskar is IMO one of the most
            > edifying in that volume.

            simon

            --
            Simon Kershaw
            simon@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
              On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Bob White wrote:

              > On 3 Feb 2003 at 21:08, Sandford MacLean wrote:
              >
              > > Yep ... "St. James-Bond United Church".
              >
              > I may have mentioned this before but in Altoona Pa there is Christ
              > Second Lutheran Church.

              St. Paul and the Redeemer is a (long ago) merged parish in the Hyde Park
              neighborhood of Chicago. In the early 1980s, the rector told me that he
              often got mail addressed to either St. Paul The Redeemer " or St. Paul and
              the Red."

              Gregory Holmes Singleton, Ph.D.
              Professor, Chair, and Resident Old Curmudgeon
              Department of History
              Northeastern Illinois University
              Chicago, IL 60625
              (773)442-5606 fax: (773)442-5620
              http://www.neiu.edu/~ghsingle/
            • Art Hebbeler
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003

                [AFH+ ]
                I can always tell the telemarketers are using bad lists when they call
                looking for "Samuel Frank" or "Frank Samuel" on the church line. Sam
                was the first called pastor at APLC and our phone number was the
                parsonage number from 1958-1963 :-)

                And, mail often comes to "The Lutheran Church of the Abiding," which
                begs the question, "Abiding What?"

                Peace
                Art Hebbeler
              • vistanfl@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Not exactly mailing ... but the parish I grew up in was "Church of the Holy
                  Communion" ... late one Friday night, some typesetter's fingers were on
                  auto-pilot when they typed in the church announcements: "Church of the Holy
                  Communism" ... it was the 50's after all ...
                  In omnibus pax,
                  George Carlson
                  Holy Trinity, Melbourne, FL

                • Cody C. Unterseher <oblate21@yahoo.co.uk>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
                    The same OSB who I mentioned in an earlier post, Father Full - O' -
                    Humor, saw the title on this one and said, "Saint Blaise, B-M. . .
                    soemone's idea of a relic?"

                    It took me a minute to comprehend what he was getting at. . . which
                    made him laugh all the more.

                    C.