Candlemass

  • Robert Gilmore
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 2 7:50 AM
      Hello,

      I would be interested to know thoughts from worshippers about how
      candlemass liturgy was in your community. In particular, where all ages
      participating, what hymns or songs went well, and any other thoughts.

      I am aware that the US is mourning the astronauts who died in the recent
      disaster. They were remebered in prayer at my church in the UK too.

      With best wishes,

      Robert
      --
      Robert Gilmore
      robertgilmore@...

      --
      http://fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own
    • wx5116
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 30, 2013
        At my former Episcopal parish in DC, all of the candles for the year arrive in January and are placed in a position for blessing as a part of the Candlemas liturgy.

        Two years ago, when the liturgy was done in the atrium and then everyone processed into the church, the candles were on a dolley that was then easily moved to the elevator and down to the basement room where most of the candles are stored.

        Although in the Catholic Church there are both formal and comparatively informal rites for the blessing of candles, there is no requirement that they be blessed:

        In a message dated 1/30/2013 11:53:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, scott.knitter@... writes:
        We just have a pile of candles on a table that are sprinkled and
        censed and blessed. Whether it represents the entire year's worth of
        candles is of little concern (perhaps it's sort of a baptism by proxy
        of all the other candles that didn't make it to the table).

        On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Jim . <jim.meriden@...> wrote:

        > I've had candles blessed on Candlemass, but he priest has told me that
        > candles can be blessed at any time......Roman
        >
        > Our church does not store a years worth or altar candles, so I would
        > imagine that if they do need to be blessed, it is done each time a new
        > supply arrives at the church.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: