[liturgy-l] Blessing-Hymn-Dismissal

  • Art Hebbeler
    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 1, 2002
      OK, a new subject line <g>

      The Lutheran Book of Worship has the conclusion of the service as
      blessing-dismissal (no hymn). With One Voice offers the option of a
      hymn/song/canticle between the blessing and dismissal "if there is a
      procession from the church" (per rubric).

      In Lent in particular (and in '01 during the summer as a trial run), we
      omit the hymn, going from blessing to dismissal. We encourage (through
      a note in the bulletin, newsletter and gentle reminder at the start of
      the season) the congregation to remain seated in silence during the
      postlude for reflection and prayer as the organist makes his/her musical
      offering. Some still dash for the doors, but it's getting better....

      I can make the case for the dismissal to follow the procession from the
      church, particularly when the congregation turns to follow the
      processional cross out. The focus of the congregation is on the cross,
      and the assisting minister/deacon is also facing the congregation, not
      their backs. I'm not sure, though, based on the comments made here, if
      I'm 100% on the right track.

      Now, just for my own curiosity, is there any tradition or precedent for
      the congregation to join in the "procession from the church" as the
      cross/choir/leaders pass by? Seems to me that this movement of the
      whole congregation to go forth and serve makes sense IF the dismissal
      precedes the hymn. Any thoughts?

      Art+

      The Rev. Arthur F. Hebbeler III, STS
      Pastor
      The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Abiding Presence
      Beltsville, Maryland
    • DJP4LAW@aol.com
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 12, 2002
        In a message dated 10/1/02 8:53:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
        ahebbeler@... writes:

        > In Lent in particular (and in '01 during the summer as a trial run), we
        > omit the hymn, going from blessing to dismissal. We encourage (through
        > a note in the bulletin, newsletter and gentle reminder at the start of
        > the season) the congregation to remain seated in silence during the
        > postlude for reflection and prayer as the organist makes his/her musical
        > offering. Some still dash for the doors, but it's getting better....

        I'm very late in responding to this: Too many 12-hour workdays. But this bit
        sparks a memory:

        When we lived in Chicago and were members of Resurrection (ELCA), the Worship
        Committee and Organist decided to take Lenten austerity seriously and to omit
        the postlude. (I'll leave untouched the issue of symmetry in the liturgy --
        e.g., prelude-postlude balance; if one processes, one recesses; etc.) We
        ended the liturgy with benediction and dismissal ("Go in peace; serve the
        Lord" and "Thanks be go God."); silent recession of the clergy (to get him to
        the back of the nave to bid farewell to worshippers; and nothing else.

        The "experiment" certainly carved out a distinctive feeling for Lent. But I
        have not yet decided whether I liked it or not, whether it made sense or not.
        It was a deprivation, and as such fit the Lenten themes we were
        promoting/expounding that year. But it seemed, too, to leave only a gaping
        hole, not to provide an alternative to the splendor of a pipe organ well
        played.

        Dwight Penas
        Minneapolis (now at Mount Olive, where, I trust, such an idea would never be
        entertained, given the Paul-Manz-and-successors tradition!)