Re: [liturgy-l] Sacred Heart

  • atombomb
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 1, 2000
      Glory to Jesus Christ!

      fcsenn@... wrote:

      > Major feasts and commemorations in the Middle Ages were marked by an octave.

      Yes, but not all of them, right? In fact, I think only feasts of the
      Lord and of the Theotokos and of St. John the Baptist(?). And didn't the
      octaves develop earlier than the Middle Ages?

      > Because of Easter's Fifty Days and then Pentecost having a kind of octave of
      > its own in the Feast of the Holy Trinity, Maundy Thursday's octave had to be
      > delayed until the Thursday after Trinity Sunday, which became Corpus Christ,
      > which has now been transferred to a Sunday.

      Well, Easter has its own octave the following Sunday-- Dominica in
      Albis, when they washed off the chrism. I imagine you're right about
      Trinity Sunday being an Octave of Pentecost in the West, although for
      us, Pentecost IS Holy Trinity (Holy Spirit Day being the Monday after);
      and the Octave of Pentecost is All Saints. But for you it's the other
      way.

      But anyway I doubt Maundy Thursday ever had an octave. In the first
      place, weren't the Octaves developed not long after Holy Week was
      elaborated? So it wasn't like any of these things were there to displace
      the others. If Holy Week is one big feast culminating in Pascha, then
      the octave of the whole thing is Dominica in Albis. Also, none of the
      other days of Holy Week has an octave; why should Thursday be singled
      out? Isn't the piety that focuses on the Eucharistic Host and thus
      elaborated a feast in its honor, much later than any of this?

      > Corpus Christi became a major
      > day in its own right. So I suppose it also acquired an octave. Would Sacred
      > Heart then be the octave of Good Friday delayed until the Friday after the
      > octave of Corpus Christi?

      Never heard of an octave of Good Friday either, much less of Maundy Thursday.

      > If this is the case, I can understand why Anglo-Catholics would want to
      > celebrate it because of their commitment to the Middle Ages. But---if this
      > is the case---I wonder why these dangling octaves weren't suppressed in the
      > Roman Catholic Church since the liturgical movement recovered Maundy Thursday
      > and Good Friday as parts of the Triduum---one continuous liturgical
      > commemoration.

      I think Sacred Heart and Corpus Christi weren't suppressed because they
      are just too much part of modern Catholic devotion and too many Italian
      grandmothers would have screamed. What would have been left of early
      60's eucharistic piety, had it not been the First Friday devotion to the
      Sacred Heart (or were those two different things?-- memory fails)? What,
      really, would be left even today in many parishes?

      > The Triduum Paschali has an octave of octaves in the Great
      > Fifty Days. As I said, if my assumption about octaves are correct. Perhaps
      > my assumptions are not well informed.

      I couldn't agree with this. Pentecost is simply the Feast of Booths
      transposed, like Pascha, into a Christian key. If anything, it is a kind
      of jubilee-- the first day after a week of weeks. An octave of octaves
      would be 64 days. There are no 64-day periods anywhere on the calendar,
      are there?

      Regards,

      John Burnett
    • Sean W. Reed
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 16, 2007
        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "James Keeling" <jameskeeling@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Sean
        >
        > That is a comprehnsive article. Thank you.
        >
        > The Eucharist I attended was in an Anglican Church is this devotion
        found
        > (liturgically) much in none RC churches, I wonder.
        >
        > Best wishes
        >
        > James
        >
        > eBay Anglican liturgy books @ * http://tinyurl.com/4geg8 Go look!*

        Our Mass yesterday was of the feast and we keep the Octave as well in
        addition to First Friday Devotions.

        I may from time to time miss a Friday, but I seldom miss a First Friday.

        The Blessed Virgin was VERY clear in what she said in her vision to
        St. Margaret Mary.

        Glad the article helped.

        Sean Reed