      From: "Paul Weary" <paulweary@...>
      To: <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 3:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Vestments & Colours

      > M. Thannisch wrote:
      >
      > "I am told that in Africa, white is a sign of morning, and that in
      Ethiopia, red is a sign of resurrection."

      > Recently I prepared some prayers of thanksgiving for a member of my church
      who is an Ashanti from Ghana, in memory of her mother who died earlier this
      year. She showed me a video of the funeral in Ghana - a most impressive
      occasion. I was curious to observe that the family mourners wore black and
      red robes, the presiding ministers red stoles and many of the congregation
      had a red ribbon pinned to their clothes.

      > Apparently, for the Ashanti, red is the colour of deep mourning, explained
      to me as symbolising that 'our eyes are red with sorrow'. the red ribbon is
      equivalent to the black armband worn in western countries.

      > However, when we included the prayers of thanksgiving in worship several
      weeks later, all the family members who came were dressed in black and
      white. I'll have to check what the particular symbolism behind this is...