6194Re: The Gospel of John and three year lectionary

  • Kenneth Doll
    Sep 6, 2001
      --- In liturgy-l@y..., "James O'Regan" <oregan@j...> wrote:

      > The church in Milan 4th century; Spain and Gaul late 4th century;
      > Rome until fifth century; Byzantine Church until 7th century; also
      > ancient Palestinian lectionary cycle of Torah.
      >
      > See Norm Bonneau's "The Sunday Lectionary - Ritual Word, Paschal
      > Shape", The Liturical Press, Colleggeville, 1998,
      ISBN:0-8146-2457-X,
      > p. 36
      >
      > If Norm is correct, one can presume that Mozarabic use had a sharp
      > turnaround in 12th century and Gaul before that. I had a very quick
      > look through Vogel and didn't see anything pertinent, although he
      > does give examples of lectio continua in a Mozarabic book.

      James,
      Thank you for this information. Could you elaborate on what you
      mean by a "sharp turnaround"? And also, does a "lectio continua"
      necessarily imply a three year lectionary? The 1549 and later
      English BCP use something very close to a lectio continua for the
      offices but it is only a one year cycle.

      Also, for the others that responded and mentioned a variety of
      practices where 3, 4, 5, or more lessons were read, I certainly
      have seen this, but this is really a separate issue to the three
      year lectionary, isn't it?

      Thanks,
      Kenneth Doll
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic