      From: Jim . <jim.meriden@...>
      To: liturgy-l <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Apr 26, 2013 8:31 am
      Subject: [liturgy-l] relic

      Good morning,
      Recently our parish pastor announced that he had received a relic of a recently canonized American saint....can't remember her name off hand.....
      He said that on May 10 he would install this relic on our altar... actually, in the floor of the sanctuary... during a vespers service.
      I was always under the impression that relics in local parish churches were installed in the alter itself.  Secondly, our altar is on a raised  "false" floor, at least 3 feet higher than the main floor of the church. Is the relic in some kind of special container? reliquary? Shouldn't it be on display? or at least in a more honored place other than in the floor?
      Could I have misunderstood what he means by the floor?
      Finally, I thought that since Vatican II there was a de-emphasis on this kind of relic adoration....for lack of a better term.

      Thank you,
      Jim
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic