42420Re: [liturgy-l] tolling the death bell

  • Ron Miller
    Mar 2, 2012
      I don't know about the background, but it's frequently been done as the body is carried from the church to the grave or the hearse.

      On 3/2/2012 8:45 PM, Frank Senn wrote:
      Where's John Burnett the bell expert when I need him?  Does anyone on this list know if there is a tradition of tolling the death bell the number of times equal to the number of years the deceased lived?  If so, when is that done?

      Ron Miller (The Rev. Ronald H.) Baltimore, MD
      Every individual will receive from God the amount of indulgence he has himself given to his neighbor.
                 Augustine, quoted by Defensor Grammaticus

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic