      -----Original Message-----

      From: Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...>
      Subj: Re: [liturgy-l] Easter Vigil as Popular Liturgy
      Date: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 am
      Size: 2K
      To: <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>

      On 3/31/10 12:10 AM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

      > Personally, I can't stand the vigil in the morning. The words of the exultet
      > speak of "night," and I think that that is historically when it has been
      > held. But for some reason, especially in this part of the world, people are
      > tied to Easter Sunrise services.

      The main problem with the Easter Vigil -- magnificent though the rite be --
      is that the new liturgy has telescoped what once lasted from dusk to dawn. I
      would say that dawn should be an intrinsic part of the rite -- it is in fact
      the most striking visual image in the Resurrection narratives.

      Alas, we don't live in 5th century Greek fishing villages and spend the
      whole night in church. There is a real pastoral problem here as the vigil
      will never wholly supplant the morning eucharist especially in small and
      mid-sized churches.

      My parish decided to have one liturgy in two parts in an effort to reclaim
      at least the shape of the all-night vigil. On Saturday night, we have the
      Blessing of the Light, the readings, baptisms and conclude with the Easter
      Greeting, Gospel and Gloria.

      In the morning, we begin with the Greeting, Gloria and continue with the
      eucharist. In a sense, we are beginning again where we left off at night.
      That may provoke purist tsk-tsks, but it is a practical pastoral solution.