      From: Gregory Holmes Singleton <roc1940@...>
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] The Peace
      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 1:39 AM

      Doug Cowling wrote:

      <<There is no such thing as an "objective liturgical

      standard", rather we see a rite through the prism of its cultural matrix.>>

      Certainly our fellow listmember Frank Senn has done an excellent job of illustrating this point in several of his works. Realizing that a prophet (and/or liturgical scholar--Frank is both) often is not as honored in his/her home town (or discussion list) as he/she ought to be, let me also suggest a thorough reading of the late (the "late" part perhaps suggesting greater authority to some) Cyrille Vogel's Introduction aux sources de l'histoire du culte chretien au moyen age (Spoleto: Centro italiano di studi sull'alto medioevo, 1966)--available in an excellent revision and translation (William G. Storey and Niels Krogh Rasmussen, O.P.) as Medieval Liturgy: An Introduction to the Sources (Washington, DC: The Pastoral Press, 1986). It is worth reading in its entirety, but the brief discussion of "The Peculiar Character of Liturgical Manuscripts" (pp. 62-64) is particular on-point for this thread.

      Personal note to Frank--so far as I am concerned, you can and do still have a place of great honor while living. That's my selfish preference. It's just easier to have a conversation with you that way.

      Peace,

      Greg

      Gregory Holmes Singleton, Ph.D., CSF

      www.neiu.edu/ ~ghsingle/